Dropped laptop's HDD disconnects when casing sealed but not when open

cashfragomeni

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Dropped my laptop last night thought the HDD was fried till I opened it up and managed to get it to boot and even open files etc. With the casing opened, while the keyboard plate is popped off I can see the HDD led working however when I deal the casing back up it immediately shuts off.

The HDD is fine thankfully, however it seems that the connection is where things have gone astray, I'll be backing up all my data shortly as a safety measure but does anyone have any clue as to what the fix could be?

Solution

Connecting that as a secondary drive should enable you to retrieve your data.
Assuming the drive is still 100% functional.

Price to fix the laptop? Unknown.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
If the laptop was off, the hard drive platter arms are locked down and they can't move for impact protection. Have you checked the SATA connection cable for damage? It should be a thin ribbon type cable unless that hard drive has a hard dock slot like most laptop optical drives (where you just slide it in a slot).

cashfragomeni

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
Did not open the HDD just the laptop casing, the data connection cable has a dark line where it looks like one of the wires fried. I got it home tried to get it rolling again to transfer files but now I can't get the HDD light to go on and so it won't boot anymore

USAFRet

Illustrious
So...
The laptop was dropped.
The drive and its contents are, so far, OK.
But the laptop internals, connecting to the drive, are broken.

The 'fix' is to determine exactly what is the problematic part between the drive and the rest of the laptop.

Cable disconnected, broken, or something more disastrous.

cashfragomeni

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I'm assuming it's the data wire as it has a dark line in it with a broken wire pretruding from it. Though there might be more internal damage as when I press down on the screw to tighten/remove the HDD from its space the charging light turns off.

Can I just connect the HDD to a PC via standard Data to retrieve the data?

And would a repair shop be able to deal with the issues for ~ 100$ or less?

I got the thing for 200$ if its dead I wouldn't care as long as I can retrieve my data tbh

USAFRet

Illustrious

Connecting that as a secondary drive should enable you to retrieve your data.
Assuming the drive is still 100% functional.

Price to fix the laptop? Unknown.

Solution