DT770 Pro vs M40X

MickG139

Commendable
Dec 12, 2016
I have been looking for new headphones after using earpods for 1 year. I was looking at reviews and theses two headphones got my attention. The DT770 Pro and the m40x. I listen to all kind of music but listen mostly to hip-hop music. Which pair of headphone should i get?

Solution
it would be better to compare the m50 with the dt770 and not the m40. the m40 is a cheaper lower tier model of the m50.

m50 vs dt770? the dt770 wins in everything but the ability to fold up and be easily driven. both are v-shaped headphones capable of both detailed treble as well as sub level bass response. the dt770 edges out in terms of audio quality by just a bit though. the dt770 is not foldable but the m50 is. the dt770 has much larger earcups so is comfortable with people who have large heads, ears or glasses while the m50 earcups are smaller. the m50 is easily driven by just about anything while the dt770 (depending on impedance of the model) at minimum i'd recommend a decent soundcard or budget amplifier. soundstage is...
it would be better to compare the m50 with the dt770 and not the m40. the m40 is a cheaper lower tier model of the m50.

m50 vs dt770? the dt770 wins in everything but the ability to fold up and be easily driven. both are v-shaped headphones capable of both detailed treble as well as sub level bass response. the dt770 edges out in terms of audio quality by just a bit though. the dt770 is not foldable but the m50 is. the dt770 has much larger earcups so is comfortable with people who have large heads, ears or glasses while the m50 earcups are smaller. the m50 is easily driven by just about anything while the dt770 (depending on impedance of the model) at minimum i'd recommend a decent soundcard or budget amplifier. soundstage is incredibly tiny on the m50 while its not half bad for closed cans on the dt770.

m40 vs m50? better build quality, deeper earcups, m50 is a bit more v-shaped than the m40.

i have an m50 myself and while i enjoy it i do realize the dt770 is overall a nicer headphone. the things i like about it are that it is foldable (i use it on the go) and i can plug it directly into phones or mp3 players without an amplifier. if i was going for strictly quality i'd have went for the dt770.

Solution