Solved! Dts:X Virtual

manga222

Honorable
Jan 13, 2015
Hi all,

I have a laptop with Dolby sound, a Yamaha Yas 207 soundbar with Dts:X virtual and a Samsung tv.
I send the movies from laptop to tv via wifi and the tv is connected to soundbar with optical because I didn't managed to have sound using Hdmi or Hdmi Arc.
Question:
Is my soundbar output 7.1 dts:x like they say or not? I do know that optical cable doesn't transfer more then 5.1 but I'm thinking that the soundbar is actually processing the sound.
Am I right?
Thank you

Solution
The key word here is "virtual".
The sound bar has 4 mid-woofers and two tweeters so it's a 2.1 channel system and can't actually do real multi-channel surround sound.
It will accept Dolby Digital and DTS audio but will combine them to 2.1 and maybe apply some processing to alter the sound.
The DTS codec tries to simulate surround effects and may be fine but it won't be the same. That means I wouldn't worry about 5.1 vs 7.1.
The key word here is "virtual".
The sound bar has 4 mid-woofers and two tweeters so it's a 2.1 channel system and can't actually do real multi-channel surround sound.
It will accept Dolby Digital and DTS audio but will combine them to 2.1 and maybe apply some processing to alter the sound.
The DTS codec tries to simulate surround effects and may be fine but it won't be the same. That means I wouldn't worry about 5.1 vs 7.1.

Solution