Dual Band Router Supports 450 Mbps on Both

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
? cant you use 2 usb wifi cards, im sure ive seen an option in windows for them to work together somewhere (i could be making this up from poor judgement due to lack of sleep)

G

Why is every one so focused on the headline speed figure. This is only really usefully in an environment with no other WIFI in the 2.4GHz band as dual channel is anti social and no better for the CPE in question due to the noise it creates on all the channels.

Likewise the Router will be listening on more channels therefore picking up more interference.

So unless you live somewhere where you can not see other WIFI on 2.4GHz this and all other dual band CPE are a bad idea.

5GHz no issue.

G

Urh what's the point of the USB adapter when the max speeds of USB 2.0 will easily bottle neck it.

More PCI-E adapters please?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
for the cost of these wifi routers and cards, it is far cheaper to get a standard cheap n300 router with giabit ethernet, then for the devices that need high speed, you can run some CAT6 cables to them and for the devices that just need internet access and basic LAN services which do not absolutely need 450mbit/s can use wireless.

I have used many high end N routers and you do not get the advertised speeds unless you live in a rural area, especially new ones where in order to comply with new rules, will downgrade your speed if theres channel overlap

Ps if you have a network where 300mbit wifi is not enough then 450 most likely wont be eough either as no wifi router on the market offers consistent speeds, theres always dips and spokes (even our insanely overpriced ruckus wireless access point)

If you are doing something like streaming uncompressed raw HD video across the network or something that requires a ton of bandwidth then gigabit ethernet is still the way to go

if you need good performance for a game console or network printer/scanner, then n300 is good,

If you use no lan services but use a ton of devices both old and new and only need the wifi for internet access, then 54mbit/s is good

When I was setting up a network for a local cafe, in order to improve compatibility, we used old wifi standards, (b/g and limited the rates to 2mbit/s so that a single user cant easily hod up the connection)

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Camoxide[/nom]Urh what's the point of the USB adapter when the max speeds of USB 2.0 will easily bottle neck it.More PCI-E adapters please?[/citation]

I think your confused. USB 2.0 data rate is 480 Mbps. 480 Mbps > 450 Mbps.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]shaz, but you rarely get that speed,personally becasue im an electrican in training ill be laying cables throughout the house including cat 5 cables[/citation]

That's irrelevant to my comment. My point was that USB 2.0 is not a bottle neck next to a 450 Mbps connection. Max speeds are rarely met with both types of connections.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]skaz[/nom]That's irrelevant to my comment. My point was that USB 2.0 is not a bottle neck next to a 450 Mbps connection. Max speeds are rarely met with both types of connections.[/citation]

+1

Between overhead and encoding, i've never seen really any types of connection get even close to max speed (well the sata's (I, II, and III) are the closest to giving there max speed but still overhead take some performance away.

Status
Not open for further replies.