Dual Monitor(Monitor + LCD TV) with SONY 5.1 surround for PC Audio

Fieldzy00

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hey guys,

I recently acquired a new 5.1 Sony Home theater system that I would like to use as my PC audio since that is how I game/watch movies and what not.

The problem is that I can not get this to work. For some reason my PC will read that there are additional speakers but it will not actually give me any sound.

I have a dual monitor set up; one being an actual monitor, the other being my 32" LCD Vizio TV. My receiver has three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output.

Currently, I have my video card(ASUS HD 7770) and my XBOX 360 connected with two of the HDMI inputs. The HDMI output goes from my receiver to my LCD TV.

In the Catalyst Control Center and the Windows Sound Panel I only have the option of picking the SONY AVAMP (which is actually my TV), the REALTEK digital output(RCA), and the REALTEK digital output to be my default audio/communications device. There are 6 more options but they represent the 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer from my home theater system. In the sound panel, they are greyed out and the sound panel tells me they are "disconnected"

What the heck do I have to do to enjoy sweet sound while on my PC?

kbyrd

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

I had a problem with my sony hdmi surround reciever and after hours of searching the web for windows related problem i found the problem to be in the receivers end.

on my Sony hdmi surround i had to go into the settings with the remote(not sure if there is gui menu access on the panel) and go to the hdmi settings and turn hdmi passthrough to off.
after that no sound untill i rebooted the pc with this setting in place as it still seems to show the sound source as my tv but now i have sound and full 5.1/7.1 options and sound.

The problem is the receiver comes default to passthrough/bridged to the tv so windows sees the surround sound as a tv/monitor with only 2 speakers. and after the change you lose audio all together untill you reboot windows so it can re-detect the surround with the full range speakers.

another note is that some surround like mine have the different modes where it has stereo or full range options make sure the receiver is set to 5.1 or 7.1 or else it will show right back up as 2 channel only.

Hope this helps someone save a couple of hours of their lives, also sorry for the poor grammar just throwin this out there and back to testing my surround sound.

Also it will still show up as SONY AVAMP in windows after reboot mine does as well but now when you click configure it will show the 5.1 and 7.1 options.