Dual monitor setup with DELL Latitude E6400

majorhummer

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I have an DELL Latitude E6400 laptop docked into E-Port Replicator.

The dock has 3 display outputs
1. VGA
2. DVI-D (Dual Link)
3. Display Port

I want to use setup dual monitor with out using my laptop screen. Unfortunately I only have access to VGA monitors.

I have tried an DVI-D to VGA adapter without success
I'm waiting for an Display port to VGA cable. But I am afraid this wont work either.

What to I need to buy to make this work ????

I know the simplest way would to get my hand on an DVI monitor.

Also what is the uses of an DVI-D to VGA adapter ?
Also what is the uses of an Display port to VGA cable ?

Thanks

Jason

Solution
What you need is a DVI-D to a VGA converter. The adapters on the market only transfer DVI-A (Analog) to VGA. I have used a few DVI-D to VGA converters from KVMSwitchTech and they work great ( Part #SCA-DVI-ANA).
DVI to vga adapter should have worked unless you got a bad one. So one VGA monitor works fine, the one on DVI to VGA part does not?

DP to VGA should also work, you may want to check for updated video drivers, maybe a new BIOS for the system also.

The system may be seeing the LCD screen anyway even if it's not on. Then you will be limited to only one monitor. May need to get a USB to VGA video card adapter. Contact Dell support and check with them.

About the uses for the converters, well, it's exactly what they say they are, nothing else. I guess you can use them to throw at people or maybe as party gifts.

It may turn the DVI port on the dock station is for DVI-D only, so no DVI-to-VGA adaptor will work.
E6400 E-Port With AC Adapter - Description

Replacement E-Port With PA-4E AC Adapter for Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop Computers. Dell Latitude E-Port XX066.
Includes PA-4E Power Adapter JU012.

Ports/Jacks Include:

Power jack
eSATA
Ethernet: 10/100/1000 Mbps
DVI-D out (does not support DVI-A or DVI-I)
VGA analog out
Display port
2 rear USB ports
3 side USB ports
1 side line-out/headphone jack
1 side mic jack

To see all port replicators/docking stations, click here.

majorhummer

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
It may turn the DVI port on the dock station is for DVI-D only, so no DVI-to-VGA adaptor will work.

You are correct the DVI port of the dock station is indeed DVI-D. If I understand correctly this is a digital output. And the VGA input of the display is analog.

I think that is why all DVI-to-VGA adaptor will not work.

But the question remain :

What is the purpose of DVI-to-VGA adaptor if it cannot convert digital to analog or vice-versa ?

Thanks

joesden

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
What you need is a DVI-D to a VGA converter. The adapters on the market only transfer DVI-A (Analog) to VGA. I have used a few DVI-D to VGA converters from KVMSwitchTech and they work great ( Part #SCA-DVI-ANA).

Solution

uneektek

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

how does this cord work? im in the same boat you were in.

I've tried dvi cable connected to dvi female + vga male adapter that plugs directly into the analog monitor and that didnt work either.

Please help!