Dumping AT&T? Verizon iPhone 4 Pre-orders Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avariche

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
They have the capability to enable this with SV-DO. They just don't want to do it. Bet they are scared that the saturation that ATT experienced will happen to them. More people use the voice/data at the same time than they think. I've been using it for a long time, and I got irritated that T_Mobile doesn't really do it well. You have to be near 2 kinds of towers for it to work through them. Still better than no option at all. Verizon, you are going to make a killing. Add even higher satisfaction to customers by adding what ATT already has... We want voice and data same time. That is the only reason I am not switching. I hate ATT so I'm not going to be with them. Fix it Verizon. Please.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Why do you constantly NEED data and voice at the same time?[/citation]
Agreed, people harp on this all the time but I have had a smartphone on Verizon for 2 years now and NEVER had an issue with it but once when tethering. And guess what! I finished the call and had data again, it was great!

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Why do you constantly NEED data and voice at the same time?[/citation]

Because people have so little attention spans that they need to be on facebook while talking on the phone :p

tank

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
No actually the reason why data and voice need to be together is because i look up things all the time while on my phone. Somebody calls and says "I'm lost". I simply look at a map and talk to them at the same time. Or how about trying decide where to eat, i can use an app to find restaurants. All of you who say data and voice is not needed, have never used voice and data at the same time, so you don't understand how useful that is. Trying using it first before you comment on it, then maybe we will respect your comment.

samanosuke47

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Why would you need voice and data at the same time? The only thing I could think of why you would Need it, would be if your just happening to be doing something on the data network, and you get a call. It'd be nice to not lose what you were doing.

Nonetheless, I'm an android boy. I have an incredible, I got it around the time it launched. It's been good to me so far, a few slip ups, and bugs here and there. But I don't think any smartphone will have no bugs or slips.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009

I don't know about constantly, but from a IT support standpoint it would be very useful. I could talk to a user while out of the office and log into their PC, or send them an email, change a server setting all with out having to hang up and call back. Very useful, that's not to say a voice enabled tablet (7in form factor) would be more useful in this regard, but very useful none the less.

I "need" (its more like would nearly die to have it then need per se) this kind of connectivity and until Verizon (my company has a contract with them) enables this service I'll have to settle for driving back home or to an office when I'm out or on call instead of just working right where I'm at right then.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
FTFA: "For consistency, Verizon was still generally better."

Can you back up that claim? Do you have any evidence to support that? Any links that would explain your statement? Did you test in all parts of the US?

My point being, when I'm at my parents house... I get better signal (I'm on AT&T) than my mom does on Verizon. I have the Captivate, she has the Continuum. Similar phones, same place and yet my data was faster and my signal stronger. Did I just ruin your argument about Verizon being better than AT&T? No, I didn't. It has been proven time and time again that it all depends on which part of the country you're in. Some areas are better for AT&T, whilst others are better for Verizon.

ac21365

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tank[/nom]All of you who say data and voice is not needed, have never used voice and data at the same time, so you don't understand how useful that is. Trying using it first before you comment on it, then maybe we will respect your comment.[/citation]

BZZT! Wrong buddy. I had ATT for 1.5 years with a 3g phone (touch pro). Sure, simultaneous voice/data was useful in a few sutiations (namely teathering), but realistically, a simple habit change is all you need to get along just fine without it. When I switched to my DroidX, took mabye 2 weeks to forget I didn't have it. Life's been peachy since. I also teather quite often, for those nay sayers that will inevitably wharrgarbl about my post. :p

mtnracer

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
For business users on the go, not having voice and data simultaneously is a deal killer. I am on the phone all the time with customers and they send emails that I need to review while we are talking. Another big one is google maps while talking to get directions. I use the feature so often I would be highly annoyed without it.
Anyone saying that we should be able to live without it is missing the point: The technology is available - why should I switch carriers when they run a seemingly inferior network and pay the same price. I would consider switching back to Verizon when they implement 4G LTE on the Iphone.

scott_clock

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
There is a difference between "need" and desire. Some things are useful and can go quickly from desire to need. This is especially true when you already have the capability and then lose it.
For example, when I had an AT&T/Cingular cell phone I was able to easily connect an incoming telephone call to my current call when this happened. Typically, I would be talking to my wife, when my son would call in and I would be able to connect all three of us. Many times there was a useful "need" for convergence. My wife and I would be saying something like..."We should see a movie....maybe our son wants to go with us?" And then my son would be calling in and I could instantly patch him in and get the issue resolved. I have been with Verizon for over four years and still cannot do this, even though Verizon insists that they can do three-way calling (only if initiated by the primary caller first....a BIG difference practically speaking). The same is true of simultaneous voice and data IMHO.

chris1685

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Verizon phones are to problematic! and there customer service is awful, They are trying to be to big as a company instead of investing in the quality of there products. I understand Verizon doesn't make there phones but they are suppose to stand behind there products they sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.