DVD and "Upconvert"

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hello,

Recently I read a review on a DVD player made by "OPPO Digital"
http://www.oppodigital.com in which they claim that its ability to
"upconvert" the resolution from 480 to 1080i is a real benefit.

Since I already have a progressive scan DVD player, I am wondering if I
ought to spend additional money to replace it with this new technology or
will I not notice any real difference.

Thanks in advance.
 

Ritz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
48
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Felice wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I read a review on a DVD player made by "OPPO Digital"
> http://www.oppodigital.com in which they claim that its ability to
> "upconvert" the resolution from 480 to 1080i is a real benefit.
>
> Since I already have a progressive scan DVD player, I am wondering if I
> ought to spend additional money to replace it with this new technology or
> will I not notice any real difference.
>
> Thanks in advance.


There are a number of players that do this these days. The Oppo player
is very highly regarded. I've been using the Samsung DVD-HD841 (which
has been superceded by the DVD-HD950) and am extremely happy. There is
no comparison between 480i/480p and 720p/1080i. If your monitor
supports it, it's a cheap upgrade for a substantial improvement in video
quality. One thing to keep in mind...a lot of the upconverting players
will only upconvert to the DVI or HDMI outputs. So if you're using
component video for your monitor, you won't get any benefit.

Cheers,
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Felice wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I read a review on a DVD player made by "OPPO Digital"
> http://www.oppodigital.com in which they claim that its ability to
> "upconvert" the resolution from 480 to 1080i is a real benefit.
>
> Since I already have a progressive scan DVD player, I am wondering if I
> ought to spend additional money to replace it with this new technology or
> will I not notice any real difference.
>
> Thanks in advance.

There are a number of upconverting DVD players available. Samsung, LG,
Sony, Denon, Panasonic and others offer them. I am planning to get the
Panasonic model, either the S77 or S97, as the Panasonic & Sony are the
better regarded models. But I have an older non-progressive scan Sony
DVD player so I want to get a new player with the newer bell & whistles,
not just the upconvert. (My Panasonic plasma has 3:2 pulldown so I have
not missed the progressive scan DVD part).

You will see a range of answers as to whether the upconverting DVD
players are worth it. In general, if you have a smaller widescreen size
TV, it may not be worth it. Furthermore, almost all the upconverting
players on the market now only provide the upconverted picture through
the copy protected DVI or HDMI digital port. The component port is for
480i/p only. So if your TV does not have an available DVI or HDMI port,
then you either switch the cable/sat back to component or get a HDMI
switcher.

Alan F
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 05:52:48 -0700, "Felice" <delcolle@charter.net> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>Hello,
>
>Recently I read a review on a DVD player made by "OPPO Digital"
>http://www.oppodigital.com in which they claim that its ability to
>"upconvert" the resolution from 480 to 1080i is a real benefit.
>
>Since I already have a progressive scan DVD player, I am wondering if I
>ought to spend additional money to replace it with this new technology or
>will I not notice any real difference.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>

My roommate has the Oppo. It's every bit as good as people say.

--
"I'm not a cool person in real life, but I play one on the Internet"
Galley
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:11:24 -0400, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net> wrote:
> Felice wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently I read a review on a DVD player made by "OPPO Digital"
>> http://www.oppodigital.com in which they claim that its ability to
>> "upconvert" the resolution from 480 to 1080i is a real benefit.
>>
>> Since I already have a progressive scan DVD player, I am wondering if I
>> ought to spend additional money to replace it with this new technology or
>> will I not notice any real difference.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>
>
> There are a number of players that do this these days. The Oppo player
> is very highly regarded. I've been using the Samsung DVD-HD841 (which
> has been superceded by the DVD-HD950) and am extremely happy. There is
> no comparison between 480i/480p and 720p/1080i. If your monitor
> supports it, it's a cheap upgrade for a substantial improvement in video
> quality. One thing to keep in mind...a lot of the upconverting players
> will only upconvert to the DVI or HDMI outputs. So if you're using
> component video for your monitor, you won't get any benefit.

I also have the HD841. Its upconverted 720p is ideal size/color/contrast
for my 1280x720 LCD TV vs. component (limited to 480p) which is
overscanned (cropping surrounding image). Some people knock it for not
having blacker than black or PC colorspace, but it seems perfect for my PC
compatible LCD HDTV.

I use VGA for OTA HDTV, since that looks just as good as DVI and saves my
DVI port for DVD.
 

b

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
46
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

afiggatt wrote:
> There are a number of upconverting DVD players available. Samsung, LG,
> Sony, Denon, Panasonic and others offer them. I am planning to get the
> Panasonic model, either the S77 or S97, as the Panasonic & Sony are the
> better regarded models.

Be wary of Panasonic... they have a high rate of H02 (optical) and H07
(mechanical) failures; google to see. Mine died a few months ago and a
friend's died just a couple weeks ago.

> You will see a range of answers as to whether the upconverting DVD
> players are worth it. In general, if you have a smaller widescreen size
> TV, it may not be worth it. Furthermore, almost all the upconverting
> players on the market now only provide the upconverted picture through
> the copy protected DVI or HDMI digital port. The component port is for
> 480i/p only. So if your TV does not have an available DVI or HDMI port,
> then you either switch the cable/sat back to component or get a HDMI
> switcher.

I have a large LCD monitor with DVI, and personally I can't tell the
difference between my old Panasonic 480p and the replacement
upconverting player. Until true HD DVD comes along I think any
improvements are in the noise.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Felice" <delcolle@charter.net> wrote in message
news:J_GdnVqaLY089k_fRVn-hA@giganews.com...
> Hello,
>
> Recently I read a review on a DVD player made by "OPPO Digital"
> http://www.oppodigital.com in which they claim that its ability to
> "upconvert" the resolution from 480 to 1080i is a real benefit.
>
> Since I already have a progressive scan DVD player, I am wondering if I
> ought to spend additional money to replace it with this new technology or
> will I not notice any real difference.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>
I've had the Oppo for a few months now and am very happy with it. I'm
probably going to get flamed for being blind, but in all honesty, the
upconvert looks as good as most of the movies I've seen broadcast as HD (not
Riddick though, that movie looked AWESOME in HD). I haven't watched a LOT
of DVDs on it yet, but be warned of the macroblock bug in its farroudja
chip, it made the original Matrix look absolutely terrible. every other
movie I've seen on it looked absolutely stunning though.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
news:plp8d11ea3i54fctusvjedkt829ofernpe@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:59:10 GMT, "Krisma" <krismaNOSPAM@NOSPAM.com>
> wrote:
>
> A few players have been announced (including one from JVC) or released
> that will play back MPEG4 at HD resolutions.
>
Oppo does mpeg4/Divx/Xvid
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:09:31 -0700, "Khee Mao"
<big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
>news:plp8d11ea3i54fctusvjedkt829ofernpe@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:59:10 GMT, "Krisma" <krismaNOSPAM@NOSPAM.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> A few players have been announced (including one from JVC) or released
>> that will play back MPEG4 at HD resolutions.
>>
>Oppo does mpeg4/Divx/Xvid

But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
 

Ritz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
48
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Karyudo wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:09:31 -0700, "Khee Mao"
> <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>>"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
>>news:plp8d11ea3i54fctusvjedkt829ofernpe@4ax.com...
>>
>>>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:59:10 GMT, "Krisma" <krismaNOSPAM@NOSPAM.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>A few players have been announced (including one from JVC) or released
>>>that will play back MPEG4 at HD resolutions.
>>>
>>
>>Oppo does mpeg4/Divx/Xvid
>
>
> But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
> resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
> if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
>


Why don't you email them or call them to find out? Simple solution to a
simple problem.

Contact information is here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Support.htm

Cheers,
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:29:49 -0400, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net> wrote:

>Karyudo wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:09:31 -0700, "Khee Mao"
>> <big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
>>>news:plp8d11ea3i54fctusvjedkt829ofernpe@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>>On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 05:59:10 GMT, "Krisma" <krismaNOSPAM@NOSPAM.com>
>>>>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>A few players have been announced (including one from JVC) or released
>>>>that will play back MPEG4 at HD resolutions.
>>>>
>>>
>>>Oppo does mpeg4/Divx/Xvid
>>
>>
>> But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
>> resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
>> if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
>>
>
>
>Why don't you email them or call them to find out?

Because I personally don't care.

>Simple solution to a simple problem.

But it wasn't a simple problem requiring a simple solution until I
pointed it out. That's part of my point. Khee Mao's post sort of
answered my original post with a non sequitur about MPEG4 that sort of
made it sound like the answer already was that the Oppo does HD MPEG4.
I'm just pointing out that that's not (necessarily) true.

>Contact information is here:
>
>http://www.oppodigital.com/Support.htm

I'd definitely encourage interested parties to contact the
manufacturer directly. But I won't be.
 

Ritz

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
48
0
18,580
0
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Karyudo wrote:
>>>But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
>>>resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
>>>if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
>>>
>>
>>
>>Why don't you email them or call them to find out?
>
>
> Because I personally don't care.



Then why even enter into the discussion? Sheesh...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:33:26 -0400, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net> wrote:

>Karyudo wrote:
>>>>But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
>>>>resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
>>>>if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Why don't you email them or call them to find out?
>>
>>
>> Because I personally don't care.
>
>
>
>Then why even enter into the discussion? Sheesh...

Because I care on behalf of those people who might get the wrong
impression, and go out to buy an Oppo based on the "fact" that it
"does MPEG4 at HD resolutions."

It may; it may not. I don't know. I don't care enough (yet) to check,
but anyone who's thinking of buying one for this particular reason
(including me down the road, perhaps?) should do exactly what you say,
and ask the manufacturer for clarification.

One could ask (with a bit of a grin), why even enter into the
discussion, if you're not going to answer the question either?? Seems
like you and I are more or less in the same boat: keen to get accurate
information out, but not quite keen enough to do all the work.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Karyudo" <karyudo_usenet@yahoo.com.remove.me> wrote in message
news:tgefd1l4lbmrp0dj9v87f17keg6thlj10n@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:33:26 -0400, Ritz <ritz@mordor.net> wrote:
>
>>Karyudo wrote:
>>>>>But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
>>>>>resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
>>>>>if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Why don't you email them or call them to find out?
>>>
>>>
>>> Because I personally don't care.
>>
>>
>>
>>Then why even enter into the discussion? Sheesh...
>
> Because I care on behalf of those people who might get the wrong
> impression, and go out to buy an Oppo based on the "fact" that it
> "does MPEG4 at HD resolutions."
>
> It may; it may not. I don't know. I don't care enough (yet) to check,
> but anyone who's thinking of buying one for this particular reason
> (including me down the road, perhaps?) should do exactly what you say,
> and ask the manufacturer for clarification.
>
> One could ask (with a bit of a grin), why even enter into the
> discussion, if you're not going to answer the question either?? Seems
> like you and I are more or less in the same boat: keen to get accurate
> information out, but not quite keen enough to do all the work.


well...they say they're 100% compatable with DivX Pro, so I'll take that to
mean they're 100% compatable with DivX Pro.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:27:01 -0700, "Khee Mao"
<big_bad_buddha_daddy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>Karyudo wrote:
>>>>>>But the Oppo page does NOT say it does MPEG4 (of any flavour) at HD
>>>>>>resolutions. Oppo does 1080i or 720p. Oppo does MPEG4. But who knows
>>>>>>if Oppo does MPEG4 at 1080i or 720p?
>
>well...they say they're 100% compatable with DivX Pro, so I'll take that to
>mean they're 100% compatable with DivX Pro.

That's super. Whatever being "100% compatible with DivX Pro" means.

Personally, I wouldn't assume anything plays DivX at HD resolutions
until I saw it at http://www.divx.com/hardware/browse.php?c=7.

It could be the Oppo is too new to show up there, but I still find it
vaguely disconcerting that Oppo would say -- in separate places --
that the player upsamples to 1080i and does DivX, but wouldn't
explicitly tout its ability to do DivX at 1080i.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY