DVD library on my hard disk...possible?

xrazorx

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
I want to put together a small PC that will utilize a TV-tuner card and do the Tivo stuff (Radeon AIW 9700, etc). In addition, it will be tied to a 5.1 speaker system. I wanted to put all of my DVDs onto the hard disk and then I could play them back right from my PC (onto the TV) rather than loading a disk. Is this possible and what software would I use? I would like it to be easy enough for my wife to use when I am not present. Also, I need the quality (output) to be nearly as good as traditional home theater components.

ThanX!

MaximumGoat

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i use a program called "DVD to Divx", which in my experience is the best prog for copying dvds to avi or mpeg, it is fairly easy to use, i normally use divx codec to encode, but XviD was recommended to me on this forum just yesturday and after messing around with it for a bit i do find it to be better.

if dvd recording quality is really important then i believe mpeg2 is the best format to output to, but the file sizes are massive, however i am finding that it is possible to make nearly perfect recordings using divx and XviD.

your wife wont have any problem simply playing .avi files on the computer, however setting tv cards to do tivo stuff has always been very difficult in my experience, due to being unreliable. i have a digital tv card now which is perfect quality if tv recording quality is an issue, analogue is always disapointing in my experience.

Did you know: pressing the print screen request key (in winXP at least) takes a screen capture and saves it to clipboard, alt and print reqest takes an image of highlighted window.