DVD Reading problem on Acer Aspire 5738G laptop

kanojicb

Estimable
Nov 1, 2016
I was unable to write/burn DVD the software files and downloaded video files on Acer laptop. I have done the burning job on my daughter's HP laptop. I have not used any third party software for burning DVD. Those disks are unable to open on Acer but opens and plays on the HP. Checked the property and it shows Used space = 0 bytes, Free space = 0 bytes and Capacity = 0 bytes. Hardware : Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S ATA Device DVD/CD, DVD Region is 5 (INDIA). Latest Driver for the device is updated.. Only one DVD is reading i.e. POWER DVD 2.55. Please help.

Solution

Aha, that is/and can be an issue. It used to be easy to take the CD/DVD player case of and do a proper clean, with some...

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
This is a fix that sometimes works for DVD players/burners that stop working. Keep in mind though, you are playing with the windows registry. Follow the instructions clearly, and it may help. I've ressurected a couple of drives over the years by using it. Hopefully it will work for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/929461/the-cd-drive-or-the-dvd-drive-does-not-work-as-expected-on-a-computer

edit: you may need to re-install all your player/burning software again, and re-select the correct region for your location.

kanojicb

Estimable
Nov 1, 2016
Hi keith12,
I have not installed any player/burning software, it is working under Windows7 Ultimate OS. I followed the link given by you. There is neither Upper Filters nor Lower Filters in the pane as explained in page under the link. Hence I coldn't do any thing with REGEDIT.

kanojicb

Estimable
Nov 1, 2016
Hi keith12,
Thank you for your valued suggestion. I have today tried this very simple task and succeeded in getting the DVD drive reading all the CDs and DVDs. The simple task is that first I ejected the disk and removed the disk in the tray. I took a small piece of news paper and gently cleaned the drive's lens with the paper piece. I found the lens holding arm was close to the spindle and slowly and gently moved the arm to the outer edge, using my fingers. Thats all now its reading the disk. But still I have to check for its burning performance.
Thank you once again for your immediate response to my problem.

keith12

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008

Aha, that is/and can be an issue. It used to be easy to take the CD/DVD player case of and do a proper clean, with some rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud! Does a nice nifty little job. Was a big prob on console (PS3/4 - Xbox etc) dvd players, but with the slide loaders nowadays it's less of an issue.

But good result. Some simple house cleaning saved the day :)

Solution