Solved! "DVD recorder setup to Direct TV to tv"

Oct 11, 2018
I need help to figure this out.
How do I connect my DVD recorder to my Direct TV box to my 2016 Samsung Smart TV so that I can record my favorite tv shows on Direct TV?
The tv has composite and 2 HDMI ports.

Solution
Connect DVD recorder to the Direct TV (either composite or S-Video), switch your TV to recorder, and see whether you can see any picture. If you can - you're lucky. If not - nothing will help you. DirectTV will be more than happy to rent you a DVR. Somewhere with small print in your contract with them is written than you cannot make recordings, period.
Without the makes and model numbers we can't know what connections you have on the recorder and DTV box.
In general you would connect the DTV box and DVD recorder to the TV directly for playback. Use HDMI if possible.
If the DTV box has additional AV outputs that match the AV input on the DVD recorder then connect those for recording. If the DTV box doesn't have any other outputs then it may be possible to use an active HDMI splitter and an HDMI to AV converter to connect the recorder.

Oct 11, 2018

The Direct TV box has composite ports, s-video ports and hdmi out.
The DVD Recorder is a Panasonic DMR-ES15. It has av ports (in and out), s-video ports, coaxial and RF.
Is it wise to get a newer dvd recorder? If so what to look for and with what ports?

Connect DVD recorder to the Direct TV (either composite or S-Video), switch your TV to recorder, and see whether you can see any picture. If you can - you're lucky. If not - nothing will help you. DirectTV will be more than happy to rent you a DVR. Somewhere with small print in your contract with them is written than you cannot make recordings, period.

Solution