DVD ROM stopped working, HELP!!

May 7, 2018
I am having issues with my DVD ROM. When I put a DVD in, it makes 4 clicks and stops spinning. Media player says there is no disc inserted.

Solution
you can try downloading the chipset drivers for your laptop see if one was damaged. also check to see if hp put out any firmware updates for the dvd drive on the drivers page for your laptop. as the laptop is under warranty contact hp see where the closet repair center is to you.
May 7, 2018

A new drive? What new drive? I have no idea how to do that, I'm not a computer geek. All I know is that my DVD ROM worked perfectly fine when I used it in February and come March, after some windows updates, I went to play a DVD and it wouldn't work at all. It would spin, make 4 clicking sounds and stop. I also get a message from media players...even VLC...that I need to insert a disk when I already have.

Now, since the recent windows 10 version 1803, my DVD ROM spins a lot better now but still is not reading the disks. I strongly believe it has something to do with Microsoft and their stupid updates that are causing havoc for me...not my drives. Also, I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling my DVD ROM drives. I've checked them in properties and it says, "This device is working properly." The drivers are all up to date. So, as I said, I believe it's caused by Microsoft. Oh...the Windows 1803 update wiped out ALL of my photos and documents this time, so I haven't a doubt in my mind that an update had something to do with my DVD ROM to suddenly stop working.

I was just hoping someone out there who is or has experienced the same thing or similar problems after windows updates. Thank you for your reply but, unfortunately, I'm afraid it doesn't help me a bit. Maybe you can elaborate more on trying a new drive? Like how in the world do I do that? Thanks.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Take a deep breath Woodstock.

The answer given is usually the quickest easiest solution and since you capitalized help, it seems like it needs a quick solution and replacing a $15 dvd drive would be it.

Hardware dies. DVD drives are cheaply made now a days. While the system may be telling you that it is working properly, it could be something that is not checked during that process. It could also be what you think that somehow Win10 messed up the compatibility with the drivers for it.

Easiest test is to swap it out with another DVD drive, borrow one from another PC or a friend or try your's on another system. You will know within 5 minutes if that is the issue.

I've had that issue in the past and after spending hours trying to figure it out, the simple solution was the one that worked. Testing the dvd drive.

From the way the drive sounds and acts, it is most likely a broken DVD drive not a software issue. Try a new drive meaning go to a store or online site like Amazon, Newegg, etc.. buy a new DVD drive for your system (USB one is fine if you don't want to mess with installing an internal one) and see if that works. Another thing, did you try more than one disk to make sure the issue is not the disk you are using?

The fact that it failed soon after a update to Windows could easily just be the timing.

May 7, 2018

Ok, but I still have no idea how to do all that. I know absolutely nothing about how to swap it out with another DVD player other than to maybe purchase a external DVD/CD ROM player. I have no friends nearby so scratch that idea. Do you know of a link that would give me step by step instructions? In a nutshell, I know nothing about drives or how/where to get them.

I've searched the internet trying to find out any info on how and what to do about this situation until It's made me crazy and thoroughly confused...which is why I thought I'd try here. I've since noticed that there are a lot of people having the same issue with their DVD/CD ROMs but I've never seen a solution to their question.

Checked to see if my old windows 7 laptop still plays DVDs and it does! No problems with that one except that it doesn't have a burner which is what I need to finish burning some files. Well, I don't know, I guess I'm going to have to buy a external player/burner. Haven't had this new laptop but 3 months and already the DVD ROM quits working. That is a disgrace.

Thanks for trying to help, but unless I have step by step instructions on how to fix anything on computers, it's like trying to teach a blind person to see. I do appreciate the help though, I just don't understand how to do it.

May 7, 2018

Yeah, I've been looking at external players/burners online. Not sure what's the best one to get but I can't afford to spend a lot as I'm on a fixed income...it doesn't leave me much for spending money after rent/food/bills. But, at the same time, I want to get a fairly decent player/burner that won't die in 3 months like my laptop's DVD ROM did.

Thank you so much for all your help and to let you know...I wasn't snapping at you in my first reply to you, I was just confused and trying to give you as much detail as possible as to when my drive went out and how it's acting. I'm kind of hopeful that it'll come back after a few more updates though...since it DID change and seemed more promising to work after the 1803 update. Maybe a few more will iron out the problem or, maybe it's just broken. Either way, I'll just do like you said and buy a external drive.

Ohhh...almost forgot to tell you...I DID check more than one DVD but, none of the other's worked either. I checked the same DVD's on my old dinosaur, Dell Latitude D630, windows 7, using the VLC Player, and they all work perfectly fine, no problems at all. Only problem with that DVD ROM is it doesn't have a burner...of which I desperately need so I can finish burning my files. Personally, I love windows 7 so much better! Never had ANY problems with it since it first came out. I absolutely despise windows 10, have had nothing but problems with that version of windows. I'm still angry and disturbed that it managed to wipe out all my photos and documents during the 1803 update. Many other people had the same thing happen to them as well, so, at least it wasn't just me.

Anyways, thanks again. Will see if I can find a new external player/burner now. I've seen several but am still unsure of which one to get. My laptop is a HP 17.3 12GB Powerful Gaming Laptop 3.40GHz A12 QuadCore 2TB AMD Radeon R7 WIN10.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015

You've only had it 3 months, it should be under warranty. Get it fixed under warranty.

you can try downloading the chipset drivers for your laptop see if one was damaged. also check to see if hp put out any firmware updates for the dvd drive on the drivers page for your laptop. as the laptop is under warranty contact hp see where the closet repair center is to you.

Solution