Solved! Dying laptop. Massive unresponsiveness.

Sep 6, 2018
Hi

So I have this 2 year old dell precision m4600. It started experincing hard disk problems, so I bought a new one and like 2 or 3 days later I started experiancing this problem. All my programs keep going unresponsive after a couple of seconds and then i have to wait for a while (up to 5 minutes in some cases) for them to start responding again.Sometimes on the desktop it would go unresponsive without anything open and whenever I try to access a drive it takes a couple of minutes to start responding, same goes for opening folders. I just installed windows 10 after formatting my hard drive but the problem still persists. The only things i do on this thing are surf the web and play low spec games like don't starve.

Update: Ok. So I ran a thorough test and got to know there's something wrong with ram. I got this error code: 2000-0123. So I think I need help determining what's wrong with my ram.

Currently I have 6gb 3x2gb of ram in slots 1,2 and 3, one slot is empty. One of the ram modules is different from the other 2, it's slower.

Update: I tried running tests with different modules in different slots (not complete though). Two of the modules and slots have been confirmed fine, so I booted the system up with those two modules in those two slots and everything worked fine except that when I ran don't starve I got the same amount of unresponsiveness. I'll check the other two slots and that one module now, meanwhile please explain what's wrong with don't starve :) .

Update: Test complete.

One of my three ram modules gave the error, meaning that one is faulty but when I boot up my system with the two modules that didn't give the error, I still get the same amount of unresponsiveness. Now I'm totally blank, so I am going to leave it up to you guys to help from here on. Thanks :) .

Solution
Did you run a Dell ePSA boot diagnostic? Be sure to update the BIOS to the latest version. To run diags, press the F12 key upon powering the unit on and choose diagnostics from the boot menu.

Also, you might need to turn off Dell Fast Response Free Fall Sensor in BIOS if available

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
Did you run a Dell ePSA boot diagnostic? Be sure to update the BIOS to the latest version. To run diags, press the F12 key upon powering the unit on and choose diagnostics from the boot menu.

Also, you might need to turn off Dell Fast Response Free Fall Sensor in BIOS if available

Solution
Sep 6, 2018

Thanks for the fast response. I'll try running the diagnostic now and I'm sure my BIOS is at the latest version as for the options I don't think I have them,

Edit: OK so I ran the test twice. The first time it went unresponsive and after being successful the second time it didn't show any error's.