Dyson Bladeless Fan Still Really Blows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I really have never been bothered by the blades of a fan or the "unpleasant buffeting" created by them so I will just save my $300 and get a "old fashion" blade fan from Walmart for ten bucks.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Now imagine what this could mean for computer cooling, all the advantages! You could cool a case more easily and efficiently because the flow of air can be controlled independently of where the air actually comes.

This almost sounds closer to air conditioning than to a regular fan.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Oh, just great! Now how will I get the cool sound effect sitting next to the spinnig blades repeating, "Luke, I am your faaaatherrr"?

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
It does use a type of turbine in the base, but still this thing is way cool. Moving the air up the ramp on the inside of the circle is really the key to grabbing air from all around it. This is really cool stuff.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Very innovative and all...but personally I've never been bothered by the awful stream of air a fan produces? They work fine for me as far as I know. Now if that option could work with very little noise compared to a standard fan, THEN you've got my interest.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
A bladeless fan, but "Air is drawn into the base of the machine. The air is forced up into the loop amplifier and accelerated through the 1.3mm annular aperture, creating a jet of air that hugs the airfoil-shaped ramp."

So basically, they use a mystery device to draw air in and force it into the loop amplifier. $1 says they use a bladed fan to do this. In other words, this isn't a bladeless fan, its a airspeed/volume amplifier.

Nice try Dyson, but I left your overpriced and under-performing vacuum (according to Consumer Reports) on the store shelf, and I'll probably leave this $300 piece of crap there too.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Ever tried to tune a guitar with a fan going? A fan does quiet a number on sound. A bladeless fan would cause less interference.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The thing obviously still has blades... they're just hidden in the base where you can't see them. I have seen the concept of using an airfoil shape to pull more air used before... it definitely works and is very cool - but the thing isn't bladeless.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
yeah, of course that's what everybody is gonna think when seeing this fan for the first time, "thank god they finally got rid of that annoying buffeting"

G

gonna put a new spin (pun intended) on the expression, "When the 'stuff' hits the fan." There is no place for the 'stuff' to find a perch.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What I really want to know is, how quiet is it? As we are all well aware, traditional fans become exponentially louder the faster they spin. This is a direct result of the buffeting of the airflow and the reverberation created by the blades as they run into the turbulant air that they have created. This design, once the price comes down, could have tremendous benefit in the area of CPU cooling while simultaneously reducing noise.

G

Yeah, I can't help but think that there's some type of fan blade in there, if not, where does the kinetic energy come from? Aside from blades or pistons, there's not many ways to accomplish this, unless they've come up with some kind of sophisticated laser/radiation/magic way of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.