EA: 3D May Come with Premium Pricetag

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
As long as they offer non-3D products without the premium that's fine by me. I won't be jumping on the 3d bandwagon any time soon.

nonameworks

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Those comments do not support each other. The microsoft guy is saying that people dont have 3D tvs yet. The EA guy is saying EA is looking for excuses to charge more money.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
As long as they offer non-3D products without the premium that's fine by me. I wont be jumping on the 3D bandwagon anytime soon.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
EA is ALWAYS looking for excuses to charge more money.

This just in: games for the next generation of consoles to have even MORE premium pricing than the current generation's premium pricing.... Film at 11.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
3D is the next big money maker for all these companies. They all talk and scheme together even though it is illegal in many countries. I for one will wait, my 2D has been doing just fine all my life, even though Avatar rocked in the theater.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]nonameworks[/nom]Those comments do not support each other. The microsoft guy is saying that people dont have 3D tvs yet. The EA guy is saying EA is looking for excuses to charge more money.[/citation]
Ditto, there is no way I am getting rid of my perfectly fine Sony Bravia to buy a 120Mhz refresh rate 3D capable screen for over $4k to replace it. That goes for my 24" Samsung gaming rig monitor too.

G

There's very little extra cost in making a non-stereoscopic 3d game work in stereoscopic 3d.

I work for a game company; a couple of years ago we worked with nVidia to make our game work with their 3d glasses. The only thing that needed any modification was a smoke effect. Everything else worked without any change -- we're already rendering a 3d world.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Games are already rendering in 3d, especially on PC I can't imagine that adding the stereoscopic output would take much effort from a dev team. Hard on the hardware yes(Twice the visual output), software wise it should be pretty simple. Sounds like another excuse for wallet raping.

"we will charge more because we can and hope most people are too stupid and lazy to figure it out" - every CEO ever

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
this guy is a moron, of course 3d is going to come with a premium... The equipment we have to own to view it. Now if he thinks that people are going to pay a premium for 3d titles, sell your EA stock now because this guy is leading them to financial ruin!

jomamma

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
EA is a bunch of scrooges anyways awlays tryin to pinch every cent out of there customers

Im gonna wait till 3D has been refined and mainstream before i even think about investing into it

Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]EA is ALWAYS looking for excuses to charge more money.This just in: games for the next generation of consoles to have even MORE premium pricing than the current generation's premium pricing.... Film at 11.[/citation]

And those are the guys that say do not pirate our soccer game that costs 60 bucks and we relaunch it every year without developing anything.

Seriously, my last EA game was Crysis and with their policy of "take all that we can from them" (not to mention DRM) I really really do not care a bit about taking pirate copies from their games.

It's our tool, will do justice for our pockets!

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
3D = FAIL

I am not sold on it nor do I care about it.What I do want is no more YARM (yet another remake/reboot) and films more intelligent.
So 3D does nothing for me.Love the old glasses over my glasses feeling.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
We haven't got people with 1080p TV's yet cause of cost. A 120Hz TV is so much more expensive than that and tbh, id rather have 1080p than 3D. Unless they make 120Hz TVs a standard adoption will be slow on that front never mind the cost of the glasses. software wise the image just has to be rendered once for the left eye, once for the right so basically an original image rendered twice and one of which is displaced. We done basic 3D stuff in University in openFX and even using a web cam!! Not exactly hard to do! Hardly gonna break the bank in terms of cash or development time in my eyes

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
its a blatant lie! games are already rendered in 3D! literally all developers need to do is flick some switch and their game would be 3D! hell, on the PC, nvidia just does it FOR THEM in some cases! making games that were never designed for 3D, 3D! doesn't cost the developer ANYTHING!!

however! developing an engine optimized enough to render a game in stereoscopic 3D (effectively, rendering the game TWICE a frame!) at anything faster than a slideshow on the current, already woefully underpowered consoles WOULD be an EXPENSIVE challenge! I'd sooner fund a mission to mars!

the most costly proposition when it comes to 3D, is hardware with high enough horse power to run it! which has nothing to do with EA.

also, if you are going to find people who will argue in your favour, could you atleast find people who aren't blatantly bias?
Microsoft still trying to get 3D to work, sony, their competitor has it working now, oh what a surprise! Microsoft thinks its "not worth it now" let me guess, it will be worth it just as Microsoft gets it to work! what a coincidence that will be! no one is forcing you to buy a 3D tv! these games will still work just as well in 2D!

if you don't want it: fine. if you can't afford it now: too bad, be patient. but I can tell you that if 3D will be good for anything, it will be games. EA may have a point when it comes to getting 3D games to run on the old consoles, but there is NO reason what so ever to charge more for PC versions in 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.