EA Buys Angry Birds Publisher Chillingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"Soon afterwards, Angry Birds developer Rovio, said that they will no longer work with Chillingo."

Good. Now they don't have to worry about being pushed around by EA and can continue making good games.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well, gratz to the Chillingo owners/shareholders for a well played exit strategy. Now that it has been acquired by EA, I'm skeptical that we will see anything else as fun and unique as Angry Birds. Sorry EA, but you guys just ain't what you used to be.

G

Way to stand up for yourself Rovio. Screw EA and there crappy games!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Well, gratz to the Chillingo owners/shareholders for a well played exit strategy. Now that it has been acquired by EA, I'm skeptical that we will see anything else as fun and unique as Angry Birds. Sorry EA, but you guys just ain't what you used to be.[/citation]

You'll see other things like Angry Birds, considering Chillingo ISN'T the developer, and the developer has already parted ways with Chillingo. All this really boils down to is that EA saw some competition and bought them out, one less small publisher.

G

So much for getting any more good games out of Chillingo. EA destroys every studio they buy.

At least we can look forward to Birds 2, 3, 4, ... with the exact same game play and new background colors...

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Ea always produced horrible games. From Nintendo to saga to PlayStation. Ea success came from buying successful titles and destroying them. Or turning them into a marketing scheme to rip off consumers.

dravis12

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom] I'm skeptical that we will see anything else as fun and unique as Angry Birds.[/citation]

Chillingo was only the publisher, not the developer. This does not necessarily have any impact on future Angry Birds games, may there be many.

tehmoonrulz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Now the maps will be terrible. Pig snipers will be everywhere and thus not allowing the birds to spawn. Luckily you will be able to still hit the pigs after they have taken cover.
/MoH

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't understand, what does a phone app publisher do exactly? I thought Apple was "acting publisher" because it distributed the game in its app store (the only way to get the app to your iPhone). So what did Chillingo do exactly? Maybe they operated the website and support lines, ran some advertising campaign? Dunno, if your publisher isn't actually publishing anything (i.e. they don't ship boxed-product to retailers or offer the download from their site/service), how are they a publisher?

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Wait wait wait, since when did EA make crappy games? If the past 5 years have been any indication, their games are continually pushing the bar.

I mean, seriously, did we all forget about Bioshock, Battlefield, and Mass Effect that fast? Where did all this hate come from?

G

What's so good about angry birds? Even if you say its unique it reminds me of the thousands of catapult games on Kongregate and other sites...

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]Wait wait wait, since when did EA make crappy games? If the past 5 years have been any indication, their games are continually pushing the bar.I mean, seriously, did we all forget about Bioshock, Battlefield, and Mass Effect that fast? Where did all this hate come from?[/citation]

Um Bioshock was not EA. It was 2K Games. Mass Effect had EA as a publisher for the PC version only much like how the retail versions of the OB, L4D/L4D2 are published by EA only. They have no input into it besides marketing. Battlefield just isn't as good as it once was when only Dice was involved. BF2 was just BF1942 DC and BF2 wasn't that great.

I think the most hate for EA is because they screw everything up. I remember the OB port that EA did without VALVes permision to the PS3. Was crappy and even Gabe Newell, Head of VALVe, took the blame for it even though he didn't want to publish the OB for the PS3.

I just don't trust EA anymore either. They tend to buy up companies that start on the PC and then push them to be console mainly, PC second. It lowers the quality of the games and then the ports to the PC are just bad.

This does sadden me though. I have been enjoying Angry Birds on my Ally for free.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]matchboxmatt[/nom]Wait wait wait, since when did EA make crappy games? If the past 5 years have been any indication, their games are continually pushing the bar.I mean, seriously, did we all forget about Bioshock, Battlefield, and Mass Effect that fast? Where did all this hate come from?[/citation]It came from pure ignorance. You'll get used to that around here.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
That list is so ridiculously long it's sickening. From WAY back. EA has been a pinnacle in game production providing entertainment for all ages, for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.