EA Says Use of Brands In Video Games Is Free Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah, they'll be fine with that, until, you know, someone does the same thing to them, and then they'll have a huge ass hissy fit.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The fact is, different games will make reference in quite obvious ways to elements of other games. For example, how often is some quote from Duke Nukem put into another game?

Game publishers like EA have already taken a stance on this kind of thing - they'd rather see it as paying homage to their games than infringing on their copyrights. The helicopter thing falls into two categories here, paying homage to the real thing and the companies that made them, and making their games a bit more realistic by using real choppers.

Now, if EA starts making helicopters - that might be a real reason for Bell to be concerned. I don't blame them for filing a suit though because these things should be clear under the law, and suits help the judicial system interpret the law clearly so that we all know where we stand.

If I were Bell, I might have tested the waters, but mostly I'd be proud that my helicopters served so well, and were considered to be a fundamental component of modern combat today. And, they should be proud.

;)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
If the trademark claim is over the designations used... Bell doesn't own them, the US Government does, and the current rule is that intellectual property owned by the US government is freely useable... If not relinquished into the public domain entirely.

Similarly, if the name is NOT the same, it, in many cases, would fall into the realm of "parody;" anything appearing in any Grand Theft Auto game would be a case of this. And this is, likewise, artistic expression and protected speech, and fair use.

Also, where are the lawsuits threatened against Activision for Call of Duty Umpteen?

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
As a tax payer, you are technically a co-owner of the products in question made by Bell helicopters, and because the purchaser is the federal government, your free speech on the depiction and use of said products must be upheld. (be it in writing or animated, interactive pictures)

It is a different story entirely if the product was a Lamborghini.

I would go so far as to say, that any company receiving any corporate welfare from the government needs to suck it up, and realize that part of the deal of getting tax payer money entitles tax payers to protected speech. If they don't like that deal, they are free not to sell the product to the federal government, or take corporate welfare from the government,

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm no expert obviously but you don't see Bell/Textron suing every time one of their choppers on TV/news programs. Not sure this is really any different. Since we don't see all the other manufacturers of the various weapons/vehicles suing too, there's probably some fair use exemption the folks at Textron aren't privy to.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
^^ Exactly. This is ridiculous. Putting my brand of car or cellphone or helicopter in someone's video game just brings my product to light more. If anything, I am helped by it being in the video game or movie. The company making the game is not making helicopters to sell. This is so BS. I hate to side with EA, but for crying out loud. Why would Bell throw a fit over this? If anything they are being given some good publicity for how awesome and cool their helicopters are. I don't see how having their product in a video game can to anything but help them.

I can CERTAINLY see how whining and complaining about it will HURT them though.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]The fact is, different games will make reference in quite obvious ways to elements of other games. For example, how often is some quote from Duke Nukem put into another game?Game publishers like EA have already taken a stance on this kind of thing - they'd rather see it as paying homage to their games than infringing on their copyrights. The helicopter thing falls into two categories here, paying homage to the real thing and the companies that made them, and making their games a bit more realistic by using real choppers.Now, if EA starts making helicopters - that might be a real reason for Bell to be concerned. I don't blame them for filing a suit though because these things should be clear under the law, and suits help the judicial system interpret the law clearly so that we all know where we stand.If I were Bell, I might have tested the waters, but mostly I'd be proud that my helicopters served so well, and were considered to be a fundamental component of modern combat today. And, they should be proud.[/citation]

My "^^ Exactly." was aimed at THIS quote. Time delay.

capt_taco

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Here's an idea: Maybe everyone should stop being so butthurt about everything and running off to call the lawyers at the drop of a hat. Things would work a lot better.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
There's a difference between buying the chopper of a manufacturer and owning the rights to it. I bet that hardly anyone knows that the US Army dosen't own any of the designs to large parts of their arsenal. They are outsourcing everything to private firms that own and rights to the weapons they develop. The US army only owns the product and not the designs per say.

So EA is largely at fault here can't use private property in their games. There are reasons why they should loose. First is that they are cheap asshats. Second being that IW and Namco have huge ass lists of military hardware they have secured rights to use in CoD and Ace Combat. Third EA are just trying to do what they allways do, cheat.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Good job EA...Ill go ahead and keep my SWTOR toon names then..... Bobafat and OBgyn are OK names now. All I am trying to do with the names is "create a realistic space combat scene"

captainsmokey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Than why doesn't Rockstar use real names for their cars in GTA.

And heck in some video games Corps. buy their name into the game. You see it a lot in The Need For Speed Series.

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Because most car manufacturers are reluctant to allow their products to be used in perpetrating crimes, or to take a considerable amount of damage. Even if it's just a video game...

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]captainsmokey[/nom]Than why doesn't Rockstar use real names for their cars in GTA.And heck in some video games Corps. buy their name into the game. You see it a lot in The Need For Speed Series.[/citation]

Because the money to develop a Corvette or a Ferrari isn't paid for by US tax money. The money to design and build Blackhawk and Apache helicopters was/is paid for by US tax money. The US public owns the UH-1 and AZ-1, not Bell, and not the military.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]There's a difference between buying the chopper of a manufacturer and owning the rights to it. I bet that hardly anyone knows that the US Army dosen't own any of the designs to large parts of their arsenal. They are outsourcing everything to private firms that own and rights to the weapons they develop. The US army only owns the product and not the designs per say.So EA is largely at fault here can't use private property in their games. There are reasons why they should loose. First is that they are cheap asshats. Second being that IW and Namco have huge ass lists of military hardware they have secured rights to use in CoD and Ace Combat. Third EA are just trying to do what they allways do, cheat.[/citation]
Actually that's not true. The government contracts these companies to build the equipment. The government owns the rights to the design and such. Good luck ever seeing Bell or any other contractor successfully sell these products, which are classified in design, to anyone else without the governments permission.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]The fact is, different games will make reference in quite obvious ways to elements of other games. For example, how often is some quote from Duke Nukem put into another game?Game publishers like EA have already taken a stance on this kind of thing - they'd rather see it as paying homage to their games than infringing on their copyrights. The helicopter thing falls into two categories here, paying homage to the real thing and the companies that made them, and making their games a bit more realistic by using real choppers.Now, if EA starts making helicopters - that might be a real reason for Bell to be concerned. I don't blame them for filing a suit though because these things should be clear under the law, and suits help the judicial system interpret the law clearly so that we all know where we stand.If I were Bell, I might have tested the waters, but mostly I'd be proud that my helicopters served so well, and were considered to be a fundamental component of modern combat today. And, they should be proud.[/citation]

if my helicopters were shown in a favorable light, I want to submenu and again to show where you can buy, or get in contact with the company if you would like one. If my helicopters were shown to be crap I want my name is stricken from the game.

[citation][nom]smashley[/nom]I'm no expert obviously but you don't see Bell/Textron suing every time one of their choppers on TV/news programs. Not sure this is really any different. Since we don't see all the other manufacturers of the various weapons/vehicles suing too, there's probably some fair use exemption the folks at Textron aren't privy to.[/citation]

it's mostly seen as free advertisement.

bigo65

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Bell does sell those helicopters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_412
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_212

The designs are not owned by the US Gov't. Funds for development are provided on the basis that a certain amount of aircraft will be sold at a certain price. Bell owns the Huey family of helicopters, just like Lockheed Martin owns the C-130 design and Northrop Grumman owns the B-2 design.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
You mean a quote from the Evil Dead movies or some other movie that Duke Nukem stole from.

Status
Not open for further replies.