EA Sees $641 million Q4 Loss, More Titles Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I feel bad for the people who will lose their jobs but quite frankly a loss like this really couldn’t have happened to a more deserving company.

The never ending annual sports title sequels that offer nothing new, the crappy PC to console and console to PC ports and the conveyor belt of mediocre title releases that rely on marketing not quality of gameplay to sell.

G

After i blew 50 bucks on the crappy Tiger Woods golf game I say it should have happened a year ago.Don't live long and prosper E.A.

G

I have to agree with JeanLuc, no company is more deserving of this. EA is all about quantity over quality, and it shows in every game they release. They practically admit it here: "EA's goal is to overtake Nintendo on its on console in terms of software sales." Horray for more Mini games! ...

One place to for EA to start improving is by not using SecuROM.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Wow. I hate to see anyone lose their jobs. I just wonder how much of it's also backlash against not only the crappy titles, but the DRM issues that came with Spore and other games?

Of course, Microsoft has an issue to fix with the expired certificates with their PC version of Gears of War. Not good.

DRM doesn't curtail piracy. It more than likely causes more people to pirate the software than to purchase it. Still doesn't make their actions justifiable, but I understand their pain.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Are they basing this off of revenue or the number of root kits installed? Treat your paying customers like criminals and expect no compassion in hard times I say.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I agree with everything above, except curnel's lack of respect and genderbender. I have bought Tiger Woods 2009 for the Wii, the first sport game I ever bought, and I really enjoy it. Then again, it's mainly because I get to use the Wii remote.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"quality over quantity is the new motto."

Now that's something positive in this ocean of bad news. It's only taken them 10 years or so to realize. Now let's hope they actually do quality, and deliver us more bullfrog or maxis quality titles.... somehow I'm not too optimistic

G

I personally have held off buying about $150 worth of EA games because I'm scared of their DRM. If it were not for the Fight Night boxing series I'd hate their company completely. That game is awesome.

Bioshock
C&C2
Farcry 2
Crysis Exp

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I HATED EA in the last generation, so I found it refreshing to see them release new IP's recently. What worries me is that they're going to change their tune and go back to what they thought brought them money. Pumping out crappy titles.

Don't get me started on focusing on the Wii. It's great for my kids, parties and for non-gamers, but sucks for real gaming.

G

@curnel_D...news flash. EA bought Bioware/Pandemic last year.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I wonder how the other game industries are doing. After all, this seems to refute the commonly touted hypothesis that people loosing incomes and jobs will divert their cash into entertainment purchases such as video games.

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Again EA needs to stop limiting the installs........Either they want us play their games or not.You can't your cake and eat it too.
5 installs ........What a way to treat you customers.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
"After announcing thousands of layoffs and delays of core titles like The Sims 3, Electronic Arts had even more bad news for gamers yesterday."

LOL, I think there's a lot of people who think this is great news that EA are finally getting their long overdue comeuppance.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Hey EA, you asked for it and you got it. Screwing over your loyal PC fans who have been with you since the early 1990's and trying to convert us into zombie-like console gaming morons. Add to that the DRM on the games that you haven't canceled on the PC.

I vowed never to buy a single game title with EA printed on it - I don't care if you're the publisher, author, or even just the distributor. You wanted to fight piracy by canceling PC versions and DRM. Guess what, in my case, you just encouraged it. I just downloaded your crap games yesterday for free with no DRM. HAHAHA.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not a fan of The Sims but I must say I find it foolish that they are delaying The Sims 3. This is a title that would no doubt sell in the millions and help them recover their losses.

Also I believe a big help to them would to rethink using DRM which would no doubt boost the sales on their PC games. Spore may have sold a million copies but lets be honest it should have sold allot more with its hype.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Come on, why wouldn't you want to buy an EA game for the PC? You get a dvd containing a great set of malware/spyware/rootkit tools! It makes the 60$ for Crysis Warhead totally worth it!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What's really really sad is that they won't even realize that alot of the loss is from the DRM crap that everyone hates. They'll just use the old "economy is in the crapper" excuse that's so popular nowadays and keep locking down games to 5 installs.

5 Installs? F'n pathetic. Makes me want to go rip off Spore right now, and I think the game sucks.

G

With all the comments, i'm suprised that EA hasn't take notes.
They better straightened up, or prepare to be out of business.
EA had became this greedy corporations who ripped their customer off. See what they've done with Westwood and C&C franchises. Horrendous :p

Status
Not open for further replies.