EA Shuts Down Pandemic Studios

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I love how they think the ideas are worth keeping but the folks who created the ideas are not. Like anyone can now carry the ball...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
EA has the use, abuse, then drop mentality towards game publishing. They buy up smaller studios who made a good IP, churn out a ton of sequals. Then drop the studio entirely.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"I want to make it clear that the Pandemic brand and franchises will live on"

So the theory here is that the brand determines product quality, not developers.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Basically, what Curnel_D said.

Not really surprised at the cut with Pandemic, they've been doing -awful-, and maybe EA looked at Saboteur and decided it wasn't up to snuff.

Besides, looking around, it looks like they've cut mostly staffers, and kept a lot of the talent.

For me, personally, EA has not screwed me over yet. :)

Had no interest in Spore, Red Alert 3, or any of those other games that people said were terrible for them. Lucky me, I guess.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]So the theory here is that the brand determines product quality, not developers.[/citation]
It's not a theory. It's part of large corporation policy. Someone small has a better product than you. Buy it before they can't be bought. Continue selling their product name. Eventually, phase out everything but the name (sell the same product under 2 names). Eventually phase out the name. In those steps you absorb the good employees from that brand and move them on to further your own brand. Cut out everyone else as layoffs to make investors happy.

This is gone over very clearly in the movie Tommy Boy. Despite it being an awesome comedy, it hit this buy and cut business model on the head.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I don't really care for EA. They really make a business out of games. I feel like there games are made by a corporation trying to make money not by people that care about more than just the bottom line. On the flip side I feel that Blizzard will refuse to release a game until it really has that fun factor and that they truely care about the quality of thier games not just deadlines and dollars.

G

C&C was dead after Generals. While Generals was a "good game" it wasn't a "C&C game" imo. EA just Shits over anything it touches.

soul555top

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Create a company, make it a hit and able to hang with the big boys, sell to big boys, be rich, get laid off, go to hawaii, come back from hawaii, start new company, see 2nd phrase and continue again. add retire early in there somewhere.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]aznriptide859[/nom]Oh my bejeebus if EA cuts C&C I'll never buy another game from them ever again.[/citation]

[citation][nom]mikepaul[/nom]I love how they think the ideas are worth keeping but the folks who created the ideas are not. Like anyone can now carry the ball...[/citation]

It's hard to feel bad about Pandemic when C&C is on the block. So many years of Red Alert. :(

glorfendel

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Ea has to know at this point that if they so much as send a email with a pink background to anyone at Bioware. Fire the janitor for stealing and having sex on the bosses desk. we will hear about it and the nerd rage will go in to high gear. Bioware and Valve to name a few are not to be toyed with let them do what they do and get your checks they may not be quite as big as you think they could be but your still making. what they could stand to lose messing with Bioware is huge. I for one end up buying like 20+ EA titles a year for friends family or my self. If bioware is tainted by there greed i will take my money elsewhere and I'm sure others would do the same. (I hate EA and do my best to stay away from them but my mother and sister are Sims addicts and they make ez gifts)

MESS WITH BIOWARE AT YOUR PERIL!!!!NO ONE WANTS TO SEE NERD ON NERD CRIME.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
What games to do they make? I don't think I have owned a game from this studio, so its not much of a loss for me game wise. Too bad about the 1500 jobs though. I hate seeing lay-offs of any sort.

G

@dark_lord69's "On the flip side I feel that Blizzard will refuse to release a game until it really has that fun factor and that they truely care about the quality of thier games not just deadlines and dollars."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Kotick

Yah, they don't anymore.

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I've played the entire C&C series,even back to the old Westwood days, I hated to see EA take over the franchise but continued to play it. As others have said before me, don't screw us over EA...

Status
Not open for further replies.