EA Sued Over Spore DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Good I'm glad their getting sued. Specially when its something worth being sued over. I just hope they don't settle easy and the people really take EA to the bank.

Vikingex

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Personally I don't think it is as bad as most gamers think (e.g. Crysis Warhead allows 5 computer/motherboard changes, and unlimited reinstalls). Don't see the problem there, do you? They have to try to stop piracy somehow (though I know it's still easily cracked).

roachrage

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
I am done with EA. They obviously can't be trusted. "They have to try to stop piracy..." It doesn't even slow it down. Spore has already been cracked and distributed. The only thing it hurts is the purchasing public.

G

"The secrethttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret SecuROM program is "secretly installed to the command and control center of the computer (Ring 0, or the Kernel), and surreptitiously operated, overseeing function and operation on the computer, preventing the computer from operating under certain circumstances and/or disrupting hardware operations."

Once upon a time this was called hacking wasn't it

noobe1981

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
@ Viking.. DRM in no way.. I repeat no way even makes a dent in piracy. It only hurts legit people. Spore was cracked damn near as soon as it came out. Just like all other games. They can say its all about piracy but bottom line is DRM's are directed at resellers.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Spore wasnt cracked as soon as it came out, it was available for download a week before it hit the shelves. DRM does NOTHING to stop piracy. It only pisses off the folks like me that actually buy games to help support a company.

I'll be up at midnight november 3rd waiting for my copy of L4D to unlock. There's no way in hell I'm playing Spore unless I pirate it. And even then it's not worth the payoff.

badboy4dee

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
EASUKS!=buttholes !;) I'm sooooo glad and happy about EA being dragged into court. I really hope they get sued to... they really earned this time. V1per I agree and that should be the main focus of the lawsuit. Installing a Root/hack into the OS WITHOUT notifying the user is hack! Sony got sued over doing this with their DVD's if I recall correctly. Now it's EA's turn to get their Pee Pee smacked but I think a MUCH stronger message needs to be sent to businesses. Don't rent the game five times for $60...just pathetic and stupid. I got somethin EA can't root!

The Silent Majority

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Good its about time EA got taken down off its high horse and have to come good about all of this stuff. Honestly i decided to buy a copy of bioshock for my 360 (witch recently died) instead of my computer so i wouldn't get securom but like an idiot (or the casual gamer) i installed spore without checking for DRM.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
As already stated, DRM is no end all solution to piracy, but to be honest this is getting silly.

Half a million downloads of spore before it came out? Piracy is sickness, and needs to be solved. If not, YOU CAN GUARANTEE that great games will never come to the computer.

So this is for all of you out there who are getting mad at EA. Take one second to actually THINK! EA is reacting (or trying to react) to piracy, not the other way around. Get mad at the people who feel that they are entitled to every game just because they have a freakin internet connection. Pirates make me sick, and they are ruining it for us all.

No Madden next year, no Live, no NHL, No force unleashed. It has already begun, damn pirates. BUY A GAME.

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
i'm proud of the fact that i did not buy the game or pirate it. EA is getting what they deserve for this. I'm voting so to speak with my dollar, and ea isn't getting a cent from me unless the game doesn't have drm / securom. Personally, DRM doesn't have to be bad. Steam is a fantastic platform that i have never had an issue with.

covertxt5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
The core problem with ea stance is that your renting the game! There are better methods to solve piracy than do it the way they have chosen.
For example: Steam. I find this method of purchasing and maintaining games without having to keep the cds by far the best choice.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
[citation][nom]battousai831[/nom]i'm proud of the fact that i did not buy the game or pirate it. EA is getting what they deserve for this. I'm voting so to speak with my dollar, and ea isn't getting a cent from me unless the game doesn't have drm / securom. Personally, DRM doesn't have to be bad. Steam is a fantastic platform that i have never had an issue with.[/citation]

I agree that EA is getting what they deserve. They shouldn't be shady about software as hardwired as this. But don't you think that the very existence of DRM shows that pirates are making us get what we "deserve."

Either way, all games should be steamed, i know it's a hassel, but the alternative is to buy a console, plain and simple.

G

there comes a point, and this is definately IT, where DRM restrictions actually encourage piracy, rather than discourage it.

i was actually going to BUY spore because of it's uniqueness and it looks fascinating, but do i want that crap rootkit software on my pc?

Hell no.

i may decide to buy the game from EA, but if i do i'm not installing it from the retail packaging. i'll go out and get a cracked, non hack-tool ridden copy to install

why pay someone money to mess up your pc?

Valis

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
WaveBossa, you're missing the point. It's not about piracy. Read the other comments and your own... SECUREROM did NOTHING to the pirates, never had a chance. If it's true there were "Half a million downloads before it came out" you've proven my point. What it will do is prevent resale, screw up a few PC's and piss off alot of paying gamers.

Balshoy

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
@ WaveBossa

You know not everyone has money to buy the games... I mean come on... 60$ on a game when you earn less than 400$/month is not that appealing... of course I agree that we should buy the games to support those who produce them, but on the other hand, they too have to be reasonable.

All I'm saying is take a freakin' look at a country's minimum wage before setting the price... and I guarantee you that nobody will be interested in having a pirated version of the game, it won't be worth it... and yes it seems fair to cost more in America than in Eastern Europe

G

Playing Spore is a lot like playing golf. And one great man once said, "It's like watching flies f*ck."

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
All this talk of PC game piracy... people seem to ignore the fact that xbox 360 games get pirated quite a bit as well. In fact, the recent Activision lawsuits are ALL targeting people sharing xbox 360 game disc images.

G

It is funny how all the idiotic pirates seem to think it is a RIGHT to get games... IT IS A LUXURY. If you can't afford it, try IMPROVING YOUR STATION IN LIFE rather than blaming others for items you can't afford, try earning it. DRM is because of all you idiots that can't handle what a luxury is, and I hope all of you that steal it rot in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.