EA Unhappy With Holiday Sales, Plans to Axe Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Granted, the economy is bad...but this couldn't have anything to do with the following could it?

1. SecuRom

2. John Madden VIIXXXIIVVIX (People already have cool sports games, why buy new ones?)

3. XBox and PS3 have been out awhile. The early adopters/hardcore console gamers already own many games for their consoles, and the ones they don't own they'll rent to try or borrow from their friend's collection.

4. EA turns original ideas into "tried and true" ones. A person can only play so many Sims games until they realize they just wasted years of their life improving a character and not themselves.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
JonnyDough, you hit the point right on the head with #3. People are refusing to buy these games, and it is drastically hurting EA's sales. Rentals and second-hand games are destroying our economy, our country, and our way of life. Well, at least thats what whiney little game producers would want us to believe.

Personally I think it's just crappy games and poor management decisions. Why are there 50 different EA brands? I mean, jesus christ you don't need a different brand for every game you make, thats a crap load of overhead. Reduce overhead, and limit your game production to games people want to play. Look at Blizzard, I haven't heard any problems from them, and they make like 1 game a year, but rake in millions from WoW.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
The problem is with how they are SLOWLY making thier games better... I mean occasionally they release a game that gets high scores and good sales. But the are always limited to new games. I played the first Tiger Woods PGA tour and that was the end of it for me. I played the hell out of it cause it had replay value and now I would never buy another one. Mostly cause I have a Wii now, but that is beside the point! If you ask me people are just finally getting wise on how EA has been milking thier titles for the past 7 years.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
whatever all you bashers...I'm still looking forward to Red Alert 27. I bet the tag line will be, "The Red Alert that comes after Red Alert 26, but before Madden 2023"

in other words...ditto on what you all said...esp the securom crap

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Qwakrz[/nom]Easy fix,Get rid of SecuRom and people will start buying the games again.[/citation]

Exactly man, right to the point. +1

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
This is not surprising, this is one of the lousiest console hardware generations.

The cost of the newer consoles is still too high.
And more importantly the cost (time and money) to develop games is too high.

We are seeing less titles released, especially for the PC.

Without a significant quantity of quality games for a console, consumers will not fork over the money to buy new consoles and games.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
As this guy stated before, all of you who complain about SecureROM are pirates. Nevermind that pirates don't even install that crap.

Ricci's world must be a scary place, where all customers and potential customers are thieves.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
SecureRom. It's the reason I have not buyed at least 3 games so far, that where otherwise very interesting... During this year I mean.
Oh, why, oh why...

I don't mind copy protection. I do mind if some program screw my computer... Use hardware protection or something else, but when you mess with my system, that can affect my work. I am not too happy. I can not afford to have two computers. One for games and one for work, so I can be sure, that my work computer does not crash for some unsuspecting error.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Jalek[/nom]As this guy stated before, all of you who complain about SecureROM are pirates. Nevermind that pirates don't even install that crap.Ricci's world must be a scary place, where all customers and potential customers are thieves.[/citation]

your an idiot.

But you have a point all the people complaining about securom do become pirates. (i know he said are) no one in thier right mind would want that crap on thier comp and since they wont take it out guess what?

there is a easy word for why they arent selling anything

#1 securom
#2 securom
#3 securom
#4 securom
#5 EA sux at making games
#6 securom

im sorry you live in a bubble jalek and everything is only black and white to you. In reality land there is a grey area to.

His world btw is a scary place because he might have been the half whitted moron who thought securom was going to save him from pirates instead of ya know making stuff worth buying. Now the problem is the 1% of stuff EA makes that IS worth buying is now worthless because it has securom on it. someone get that guy a friggin medal for destroying EA (if there was anything left that is)

demonhorde_1

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
EA Makes me sick , they screw up by using sony's secuROM , So they start laying off their developers that actually made the games. And of coruse they keep using secuROM cos thier customers are all theives ??? I'm ready to see EA file chapter 11 then dget denied !

as for games i would have bought but didn't

1. Spore
2. Dead Space
3. Mirror's Edge
4. Need for speed Undercover
5. Crysis
6. Crysis Warhead

THAT is 6 games i didnt not buy this year after gettgin this new comp ALL because they used SecuROM
That's not even counting any future battle field games i may have gotten

now for some NON EA titles i will be avoiding over SecuROM, or other root kitish DRM

1. Far Cry 2 (ubisoft/securom)
2. GTA IV (rockstar/securom)
3. Stalker: clear skys (THQ/TAGS DRM [similar to securom])

Games I got instead

1. Tombraider Underworld (edios)
2. Left 4 Dead (valve)
3. Fallout 3 (gettign it on x-mas) (bethesda)
4. CliveBarker's Jerhico
5. Stalker shadow of chernobyl ( i got it before i relised it's sequel would use a root kitish DRM if i had known ahead of time i'd not have gotten this game either )

NOTE: most of these use either NO DRM (such as tombraider) or the least intrusive DRM's such as cd keys and or steam account(Left 4 Dead)

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
1. Securom
2. Most of EAs titles are sequels with minor modifications to their older games.
3. Securom
4. Idiot management
5. Securom
6. The guy at EA who wants to keep Securom

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
So EA, in the midst of very public criticism over the horrible copy protection schemes in their major attention-grabbing titles, AND during a severe economic downturn, EA decided it was the stores' fault for stocking so many of their best-selling titles?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Isn't EA the company that is pushing its major titles so much that retailers don't give space to the smaller publishers? Shouldn't that INCREASE EA's sales, and decrease the competition's?

Personally, I'm glad that EA is doing badly and making stupid decisions. Even before securom, they've been buying up and wrecking good game franchises for years. The faster EA dies the better. And this is coming from a software developer that works close to their head office / largest development studio. I'm not looking forward to all the local lost jobs, but I'll be happy when they stop trying to ruin the gaming industry.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
They played with fire, and they lost. They thought they were so big that the small group of PC users who they've been screwing with DRM would not affect their sales. They seriously thought that because they stopped making a PC version of NBA Live or Madden, I'd go drop my quad core 4850 computer, and go out and spend $450 on a PS3 + $60 for their game. This guy lives in another world. Dude, I'd quit gaming forever before I use a console. Consoles are for babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.