Early 2013 MBP 102 degrees throttle no shutdown!? Is it dying?

Kaylik

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Good day all. I have been very fortunate to inherit an early 2013 macbook pro as of recent.

i7 3840QM, 16GB of ram, 512gb SSD (sandisk) and a 1GB gt 650m

The computer was a glorified paperwait for what I can tell most of its life, the previous owners said if I can fix it I can have it... 2 months waiting for screwdrivers and adapters and I fixed the corrupted SSD or atleast hope so it seems to be working :p.

Everything passed my inspections and apple hardware test aswell (except the ssd still got the weird error even tho it was now actually usable unlike when i got it).

I tryed downloading intel power gadget from a link to accidentally install a fake which I uninstalled after that tho the mac was just super hot always throttling not acting like before. I reinstalled the OS multiple times to no avail eventually opting for filevault which seemed to fix 95% of the overheating.

My concern is my cpu still enjoys running at 102 degree Celsius while running cinebench 15, at first it was throttling a lot, but now I get my usual 640ish score instead of 515 or some way other off number.... Heaven 4.0 max 85.

I need to figure this out because my school work demands me to run multiple Virtual Machines at once and well it gets too 100 with just 1 VM.

I am worried that running my VMs within bootcamp (VM workstation is easier for me than fusion) will break my macbook as it was at 100 - 104 with just 1 within macOS.

Anything you guys can do to help out it really doesnt seem normal Intel says instant shutdown when 100 degrees are hit i easily hit 101 - 104 I still haven't experienced an emergency shuntdown....

Kaylik

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Sorry forgot to mention I am running macOS High Sierra and that my mac didnt come with a charger but I have my old 60w adapter lying around 15 dollar magsafe 1 to 2 adapter and im powered (I did order an 85w still waiting for it). Could my 60w cause my macbook to overheat like this? It doesnt seem right but I didnt want to leave anything out.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Mac laptops don't have the best thermal dissipation and very quiet fan profiles.
First check if your fans are actually working.
Download Fan Speed Controller and setup a more aggressive fan profile.
Make sure at idle nothing else is using the cpu and that temps are normal.

Kaylik

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Fans are working correctly I checked using istat also put them to max which didn't help.

Why is Intel's manufactured cpu not shutting down!!! Its just keeps going until forever at over 100 degress the cpu should just shutdown once 101 degrees is hit by the cpu? (Degree celcius)

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I think they can hit over 100. They won't usually shut down unless there is pretty much zero cooling, they just throttle down.

All I can suggest is cracking it open again and checking everything. Check the black thermal pads on the back cover are actually making good contact with the heatsinks.

Kaylik

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Sorry been away for awhile with packing and all. I will re apply thermal soultion whenever I remember where I put it see if that helps.

Its just wierd because when i was first using it it was scoring around 630cb on cinebench R15 im lucky to get 550 ususally 500 while the the same macbook with a 3820qm mine is 3840 is getting 590... Also all my benchmarks which were repeatable are nolonger.

The only thing i can think of is I used a link from a different post pretty sure Toms to download Intel Power Gadget it installed did nothing and boom problems. Reset pram reset smc delete all partitions restart reset prm rest smc install macos using firevault and that allowed idles of 60 degrees instead of 80.
Is it possible I got big somewhere other than my SDD and if so how do I flush the ah heck out? Maybe unplug the batter connector to drain the board of power? It was fun opening it the first time its like 8 times now xD any suggestions, advice or comments on this behavior? Thaanks