eBay Announces Skype Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
The problem is no cell phone carrier wants Skype on their data network, and until that changes it's going to really block progress.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Fake money to buy company selling fake product. Wall St at it again. I don't see how Skype is worth $2.75 billion.[/citation]
Me think it was done for the sake of fighting Google Voice down the road.

G

I personally think skype misses something that MSN messenger has.
Many people I know feel better with messenger, perhaps it's just the icons, or the layout or the extra things like gifts or programs or games...
Also, with the emerge of facebook, I think people feel like they keep in touch with just about everyone. The need for direct messaging service might decrease a bit.
People have cellphones, can text message eachother, and can go online fill out blogs, or use MSN.
I myself stopped using IRC, or skype a long time ago.
I stopped using MSN for about 2 years now.
I mainly use facebook, and find that is enough for me, next to my hotmail, which is more person to person.

We can always call our near friends. I don't think there is any lack in ways of communicating.
I think clients like trillian, yahoo messenger, skype, etc.. they will see less and less people connecting to it...
I think it's a dying program, that has not seen many structural changes, facelifts or so, in other words, much like netscpe will be forgotten, in oblivion.

diddleyaye

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Fake money to buy company selling fake product. Wall St at it again. I don't see how Skype is worth $2.75 billion.[/citation]

I suppose my deposit for Skype credits is fake too...

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I wonder the same thing. I don't use Skype, I could care less where it goes, if it goes away, all the same to me.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
How is it fake? I pay $3/month and I get to call as much as I want to as many land lines as I want (though there is a cap of 10,000 minutes). I pay real money that I earned and I get a real service. Tell me how that is fake?

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I personally think skype misses something that MSN messenger has.Many people I know feel better with messenger, perhaps it's just the icons, or the layout or the extra things like gifts or programs or games...Also, with the emerge of facebook, I think people feel like they keep in touch with just about everyone. The need for direct messaging service might decrease a bit.People have cellphones, can text message eachother, and can go online fill out blogs, or use MSN.I myself stopped using IRC, or skype a long time ago.I stopped using MSN for about 2 years now.I mainly use facebook, and find that is enough for me, next to my hotmail, which is more person to person.We can always call our near friends. I don't think there is any lack in ways of communicating.I think clients like trillian, yahoo messenger, skype, etc.. they will see less and less people connecting to it...I think it's a dying program, that has not seen many structural changes, facelifts or so, in other words, much like netscpe will be forgotten, in oblivion.[/citation]

If your girlfriend/brother/buddy had to move away for business for more than several months you would re-appreciate instant messengers with voice and video capabilities at almost zero cost for sure

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I wonder who in their right mind would bid 2.75 Billion on an ebay auction?!

I mean, in real life, you would think your lawyers, accountants and every tom/dick/harry would be going through the books before you would ever consider any sizable purchase.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]I personally think skype misses something that MSN messenger has.Many people I know feel better with messenger, perhaps it's just the icons, or the layout or the extra things like gifts or programs or games...Also, with the emerge of facebook, I think people feel like they keep in touch with just about everyone. The need for direct messaging service might decrease a bit.People have cellphones, can text message eachother, and can go online fill out blogs, or use MSN.I myself stopped using IRC, or skype a long time ago.I stopped using MSN for about 2 years now.I mainly use facebook, and find that is enough for me, next to my hotmail, which is more person to person.We can always call our near friends. I don't think there is any lack in ways of communicating.I think clients like trillian, yahoo messenger, skype, etc.. they will see less and less people connecting to it...I think it's a dying program, that has not seen many structural changes, facelifts or so, in other words, much like netscpe will be forgotten, in oblivion.[/citation]
Skype isn't an IM client at its core, it's a telecommunications platform. You'd see an instant reason for Skype if you had a friend in another country. For instance, my wife calls me using Skype when I'm in Europe for business. If she calls my German cell directly its 24 cents a minute, if she calls my hotel room it's 3 cents a minute. Great thing is she doesn't have to be at a PC to do it. Skype will let you setup a local number that acts as a relay for phone calls abroad so she calls that number and it relays to my German numbers.

Now you might be thinking that's still expensive but to call me in Germany from her cell phone was going to cost upwards of $1.2 a minute, so Skype is seriously cheaper.

G

Skype is a worldwide use service. My wife uses it all the time to talk to family and friends in europe. most of the time it costs us nothing but once or twice a month we call a landline and it cost pennies. We have tried most if not all the other services like this and skype is by far the best in multiple respects. With people now starting to use it with their cellphones I only see it growing.

juncwil

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I use skype for gaming, prefer it over Teamspeak or Ventrilo since its much easier to setup and use for most people I play games with. Since many of my gaming friends are from overseas, skype's world wide service is great. My parents also uses it to talk to my grandparents and other relatives oversea, its simple enough for them to use it. Best thing is skype is VoIP so both sides just need internet connection/

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
twitter and facebook are fake companies, sadly they will probably figure out how to make money before skype, a legitimately USEFUL service.

[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]The problem is no cell phone carrier wants Skype on their data network, and until that changes it's going to really block progress.[/citation]

same problem... skype is FREE! cell phone companies HATE 'FREE'

they want to charge you for calls, MMS, TXTs and data, makes it looks like your getting lots of features for your money, when realistically, they could roll all of these features into a single data plan.. They want as much control as possible, so they can rip you off at every turn. like apple, but telcos are even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.