eBay Asks Users to Change Passwords After Data Breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
you should also change the same password on any other online account that uses it. (It's best to never repeat passwords.)

There's no excuse for using the same password across multiple sites anymore. Password managers make choosing good passwords and storing them across devices almost as easy as falling off a log nowdays.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Well, I guess that it is good that I changed my passwords everywhere back in April when the Heartbleed thing happened.

ddpruitt,
Here's the thing...I don't trust password managers any more than I trust websites. If hackers gained access to THAT, I would be even more hosed. It's risky enough to have passwords stored on individual sites as it is. It's even worse IMO to have them all stored in a single place online because it is one hack away from revealing every single one of them, causing me to have to go to the trouble of changing them all again.

Honestly, at this point I think that it might be safer to use different ones everywhere and keep them written on paper in my wallet with some amount of obfuscation regarding which sites they are for (codenames like "The Hardest Tea" for Tom's, etc).

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I use a password manager that can use local password files (Roboform2Go* on a USB stick, with backups to disk) and avoid any online or browser based storage. Works for me.

*other programs are available ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.