Ebay buyer wants refund for iCloud locked iPhone 7 plus

Aug 26, 2018
I'm going to try to keep this as brief as possible but still give the background and reason for my question. I bought an iPhone 7 plus off Craigslist about a year ago. At the time I didn't know much about iPhones let alone iCloud locks and blacklisting etc. Probably should have been suspicious about getting the phone for $300 but... I met seller, looked over phone, was in good condition, turned it on, seemed fine so I went home. Later when I turned it on and started the setup process I got my first introduction to the iCloud activation lock. Of course I could never get ahold of the seller again. I didn't stress at first figuring there would be some work around. We all know where that got me. So after months of searching I gave up and had read somewhere that people buy iCloud locked phones on eBay to sell for parts. So I got an eBay and PayPal account and listed it. And spent months learning about all the eBay scams people try. Thank God I at least didn't fall for one. On the 13th of this month I got a message from what I thought was a legitimate buyer... feedback over 200 and all positive... asking for imei. I gave it to him and he messaged back shortly after offering $200. At this point I had it listed at $275 obo. So I agreed, ecstatic to be rid of this thing and he paid right away through PayPal. I shipped it and it was delivered on the 20th. Of course PayPal holds the money for 3 days after it's delivered in case of dispute but I'm not worried because I was honest in my listing.

Title:. iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black, Verizon - FOR PARTS ONLY! READ ENTIRE DESCRIPTION!

Description: iPhone 7 plus 128 gb, jet black, Verizon. It is iCloud locked. Cannot be activated! However it is in excellent condition, no marks or scratches. Has an Otterbox case and I'll even throw in a hot pink charger. NOT original charger. Not in original box. Has Sim card for Verizon if you can get it unlocked. Sold AS IS. NO REFUNDS.

I thought that it was written so there would be no issue, I had given him imei prior to him buying it. Then on the 21st I had a message on eBay that he's requesting a return.

Reason

Doesn't match description or photos

Comments

Hello. I want to return it, because the seller or original owner put iCloud status in Lost Mode. So, we can you use it for parts. It’s never been opened and ready to send to seller. Please, accept our return as soon as you can. Thanks

And he sent a screenshot of the imei check he did on the 13th and another one he did on the 21st on the same site, sickw.com. On the 13th,
iCloud Locked: On
iCloud status: Clean
Blacklist status: Clean

Then on the 21st,
iCloud Locked: On
iCloud status: Lost

Now I didn't turn on find my iPhone because it's not iCloud locked to my account. If it was I know I could have sold it for a lot more than $200 if it was unlocked. I had thought that all iCloud locked phones had find my iPhone on. And that only blacklists showed the phone as lost or stolen. And considering I've had the phone for close to a year it would be a huge coincidence that the original owner suddenly decided to turn on find my iPhone a year later during the exact time I finally sold it. So one of my questions is...how is it possible for it to show as clean one day and lost a week later? Could the buyer have done something to make it show up as lost now? I've dealt with so many scammers over the past months I feel like if I don't fight the return I'll end up refunding his money and end up with another phone returned to me. My other question is would it even make a difference if he planned on selling it for parts if it was iCloud locked clean or lost?? I've been searching for an answer to both these questions for days and can't find an answer. I just want this phone gone but I'd like to at least get some of my money back especially after all the headache it's caused me! Any insight would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for this being so long!

Solution
If it was listed as being iCloud locked, you do not need to refund them. Tell them the item had everything listed in the description, eBay should side with you. You can contact eBay and talk to them. If the buyer did not read the posting properly that is their fault not yours.

Only issue is that it's likely that phone was stolen in the first palace so you are now likely selling a stolen item.
If it was listed as being iCloud locked, you do not need to refund them. Tell them the item had everything listed in the description, eBay should side with you. You can contact eBay and talk to them. If the buyer did not read the posting properly that is their fault not yours.

Only issue is that it's likely that phone was stolen in the first palace so you are now likely selling a stolen item.

Solution