ecoATM Pays You to Recycle Old Gadgets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Scan new, throw in 1990 cellphone. Scan new phone, throw in another 1990 Cell phone....

I can't see anyway to abuse this system >:)

Chances are 99% of phones over 2 years old will ding $0.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I'd guess that you won't make much if they're just scanning for scrap value, probably anyone who's going to steal a (relatively) new phone is going to go with the old school ways of getting rid of it - Pawn Shop, Craigslist, EBay, Russian Mafia, etc...

I think this machine is a cool idea though, I tend not to throw out gadgets because it seems like a waste to landfill something that (with a little work) has a lot of recycleable components. If we had one of these machines around, I'd use it just to get clear out a few drawers in the house - even if I didn't make a cent.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
the only problem with this sytem is they will assess most of the cell phones as 0 dollars unless they are released this year. If that's the case, I wouldn't even throw away my current year 700 dollar cell phone for like 50 dollars

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
nice idea.
I wish it took more than just cellphones. I have an old radio, and a pile of expansion cards that also need a new home.

linney

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]What's to stop someone from stealing your new phone and then selling at this machine?[/citation]

Whats to stop someone from stealing your new phone and then selling it to Dirty Bobs Pawn Shop?

G

I work for ecoATM and we pay fair market value for the phones. Most customers are very happy with the value they get. In fact, many people return later in the day with a bag of old phones they want to recycle. Plus we plant a tree for each phones turned in.

The kiosk has a full package of biometrics on board. We can capture a photo, fingerprint, drivers license and signature. This was done to prevent theifs from selling back electronics and to comply with various pawnshop laws in different states. Also, the machine locks your phone in the inspection bin so you can't remove it unless you cancel the process.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Hopefully, the electronics are recycled safely by a responsible company and not shipped to a third-world country where the standards for recycling and toxic material reclamation are lax or nonexistent.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No company recycles without a incentive.
Hell, working in a city paper/cardboard/plastic recycling program, if thet aren't making any cash, they just shut down. Layoffs during the offseason are common... profit margins are too small.

"You pay us to recycle, then we sell off the recycled material to China."

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]What's to stop someone from stealing your new phone and then selling at this machine?[/citation]

Stop killing good ideas please. People have been waiting for a good reason to steal phones for awhile now and you are exposing their promised land.

G

I work for ecoATM. One of ecoATM's founders is widely respected as one of the most respected electronics recyclers in the business over the past 10 years, is an eSteward with BAN, and has helped author some of the EPA rules regarding eWaste. ecoATM is the real deal when it comes to the environment. As far as handling stolen devices, ecoATM has the facility to tie into the database of reported stolen phones and refuse to accept those devices, as well as capture info about the person attempting to sell them where that is legally allowed. Anyone can steal a phone today and sell if through lots of channels other than an ecoATM anyway. We pay in store credit not cash so its not a preferred path for criminals looking for quick cash. ecoATM is starting with phones only but we are working now to expand its range to include pretty much any USB based device, DVDs, game cartridges, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.