eGPU - i7-4710HQ and mPCI-e 2.0

paklic9

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi, I have some questions about egpu.
My laptop is lenovo y50-70 with i7-4710HQ and maxwell 860m. I made some cooling upgrade and can run on 3.5 ghz all the time at 100% (on stress test max temp. is 78 C). In past I could run about 3.0 and temp. was 90 C. And the gpu has poor preformance for this cpu, almost in all games there is no difference between at 2,5ghz and 3,5ghz (didnt tried lower clock, because 2.5 is stock). So I am thinking about egpu.

I have only one PCI-e 2.0 x1(wifi), so bandwidth is 5 GT/s. How will eGPU work on this port? Will it make big diffrence than 860m(maxwell)? Or it will bottleneck a lot, because of the slow x1 PCI-e 2.0 slot?

And what gpu is best? For this specs.

PS: I will use external monitor for sure.

Solution
Last I read (please correct me if I'm wrong) you'll get 30% performance, need a PSU, the GPU and have lots of work to do to get it working. It negates the portability aspect of having a laptop. IMHO it's not worth it.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Last I read (please correct me if I'm wrong) you'll get 30% performance, need a PSU, the GPU and have lots of work to do to get it working. It negates the portability aspect of having a laptop. IMHO it's not worth it.

Solution

paklic9

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for answer!
Yeah, its probably not worth. If it incrase only 30% performance. But ture is, that you can use PSU and gpu in next desktop pc in future. But I will see and think about it..