Epic Game's Fortnite PC Exclusive, First to Use UE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Ok PC gamers, lets put our money where our mouths are. We bitch and complain about not getting PC only titles, well here we go. If its an awesome game lets make sure they sell more than a million otherwise its back to console ports for us!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
lol what better way to show off the new next gen engines power than to release a game with a goofy low texture style. I really like these art styles, but I dont think thats the kind of game they should make to release UE4.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And likely the 5 years old consoles couldn't handle it satisfactory so they made the title PC exclusive, will be interesting to see what they have cooked up. Epic can make great PC games when they try to use the latest, Unreal was for instance awesome when it came and both took advantage of the latest hardware as well as good scaling.

Granter

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
everyones stupid whining just indicates that they know nothing about 3D. I think the unreal demo demonstrated quite well on how it could manage to render extremt dynamic effects which are impossible to do without blowing the PC up, even if the game have cartoon graphics it will have be extremly hardware dependent if there are a lot of heavy dynamic effects.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Listen, like Granter said, this game may have a lot of dynamic effects such as better physics, realistic ragdoll, buildings can be destroyed. Somethings gotta give you know. :)

Games are not about graphics only, there ARE games that have nice graphics, but crap physics. It makes them less funs.

Now, UE4 is not only for OMGWTFBBQ Battlefield or UBERHIGHCANIRUNIT Crysis.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
WTF!? this is stupid! First they showcased Unreal Engine 3 with monochrome graphics and now they are showcasing Unreal Engine 4 with non-photorealistic rendering like in Team Fortress 2?! Not only that but I see curve segmentation everywhere. I thought the main new feature of DirectX 11 and Unreal Engine 4 was curve tesselation and tesselated displacement. This is just going to make even more people say what is the point in upgrading and will just make this console generation last even longer. I hate Epic even more now!

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]WTF!? this is stupid! First they showcased Unreal Engine 3 with monochrome graphics and now they are showcasing Unreal Engine 4 with non-photorealistic rendering like in Team Fortress 2?! Not only that but I see curve segmentation everywhere. I thought the main new feature of DirectX 11 and Unreal Engine 4 was curve tesselation and tesselated displacement. This is just going to make even more people say what is the point in upgrading and will just make this console generation last even longer. I hate Epic even more now![/citation]

They said they found the "the road-inspired aesthetic" depressing so I assume that's why they changed it. Also the major reason to use Unreal Engine 4 over 3 is the reduced costs that Epic claim. Things like the removal of static lighting will reduce time spent making the game.

Other developers will use the engine and show the realism side of it soon. Epic are one of the reasons the Xbox 360 doesn't have 256MB RAM. They've helped this generation look better and they will help the next.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Ok PC gamers, lets put our money where our mouths are. We bitch and complain about not getting PC only titles, well here we go. If its an awesome game lets make sure they sell more than a million otherwise its back to console ports for us![/citation]

it looks like a team fortress 2 game graphically, and a minecraft like building system...
if they dont let me build what i want where i want it, and if its just a glorified hoard mode, i wouldnt pay for it even if it was 10$, but thats just me... i can hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]lol what better way to show off the new next gen engines power than to release a game with a goofy low texture style. I really like these art styles, but I dont think thats the kind of game they should make to release UE4.[/citation]

you dont get it, high resolution textures can hide aspects of the engine, its probably for the best that they chose a low... its not low quality, look at the screenshots... but low clutter textures... is that the right word... it will show off more of what the engine can do than real time.

[citation][nom]Dark Comet[/nom]They said they found the "the road-inspired aesthetic" depressing so I assume that's why they changed it. Also the major reason to use Unreal Engine 4 over 3 is the reduced costs that Epic claim. Things like the removal of static lighting will reduce time spent making the game. Other developers will use the engine and show the realism side of it soon. Epic are one of the reasons the Xbox 360 doesn't have 256MB RAM. They've helped this generation look better and they will help the next.[/citation]

id like to say partially because of gears of war, we have every shooter now look like its shades of grey and brown with only a few standouts like crysis and the new farcry adding any vibrant colors.

i get that you mean they made the graphics better but im saying that if the style is grey brown and nothing else, i cant care less what kind of detail the games push.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Ok PC gamers, lets put our money where our mouths are. We bitch and complain about not getting PC only titles, well here we go. If its an awesome game lets make sure they sell more than a million otherwise its back to console ports for us!When they do it's crap like this, no thanks.[/citation]
When they do it's crap like this, no thanks.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Toms, at least put a decent sized screenshot on an article about Unreal newes Engine. I mean, I had to squint on the image you provided... and I am not even talking about the thumbnail, but the actual sized one.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]When they do it's crap like this, no thanks.[/citation]

Judging a game before you've played it, let alone shown exactly how it will look when it is actually released. For all we know, they're just doing a quick throw-it-together and they will bring up the graphics once they have a working game. Then again, maybe they wont. Regardless, graphics quality is not the only factor in a game.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I'm sure this game will look fantastic when it's released. It is awesome to see the first title being released on PC!

I do wish this first title was a bit more....well, epic.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]it looks like a team fortress 2 game graphically, and a minecraft like building system... if they dont let me build what i want where i want it, and if its just a glorified hoard mode, i wouldnt pay for it even if it was 10$, but thats just me... i can hope for the best but prepare for the worst. you dont get it, high resolution textures can hide aspects of the engine, its probably for the best that they chose a low... its not low quality, look at the screenshots... but low clutter textures... is that the right word... it will show off more of what the engine can do than real time. id like to say partially because of gears of war, we have every shooter now look like its shades of grey and brown with only a few standouts like crysis and the new farcry adding any vibrant colors.i get that you mean they made the graphics better but im saying that if the style is grey brown and nothing else, i cant care less what kind of detail the games push.[/citation]

Yeah it is dull but they pushed Microsoft to put 512Mb RAM in the Xbox 360. Microsoft wanted 256MB. That's the gears of war style though. You do see people taking their engine and making colourful stuff like Borderlands. Bulletstorm looks nice in a lot of scenes too.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
So why would I want to play this game instead of Minecraft or Team Fortress 2? Fortnite does not look even remotely interesting to me. It's trying to mix two games without managing to capitalize on the charm that made them successful in the first place. I don't see this working. If they sell it cheap on Steam they have a chance. If it's free to play I won't even touch it because of pay to win.

Frankly, I'm not willing to forgive Epic for what happened with UT3 and GoW on PC. Banning mod developers and ignoring a save game bug, respectively, are unforgivable.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Ok PC gamers, lets put our money where our mouths are. We bitch and complain about not getting PC only titles, well here we go. If its an awesome game lets make sure they sell more than a million otherwise its back to console ports for us![/citation]

Looking at this game though, I have a really tough time understanding why they'd choose something like this to be their first PC exclusive in years. It doesn't look like it takes advantage of the platform (or UE4) at all.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Dark Comet[/nom]Yeah it is dull but they pushed Microsoft to put 512Mb RAM in the Xbox 360. Microsoft wanted 256MB. That's the gears of war style though. You do see people taking their engine and making colourful stuff like Borderlands. Bulletstorm looks nice in a lot of scenes too.[/citation]
borderlands, while i agree that i like the style, most of what i remember is shades of brown, bullet storm, yea, forgot about that game.

my point still stands, why make the graphics better if its all shades of grey and brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.