Epic: New Unreal Engine Warrants PS4, Xbox 720

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
They need to be more powerful to run UE4 at maximum detail. But we all know consoles don't run at maximum detail, they run at minimum.

So in other words, a console that has the equivalent of a 5570 and a dual-core POWER6 processor (2 generations newer than the POWER4 but still 4 years old).

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
No console maker cares, unless a few big time developers along with their publishers make actual DX11 games for pc that make DX9 look like filth, there won't be any real pressure to speed things up.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Nice little bitch slap to the platform that made unreal technology popular in the first place. As if exclusive IP deals weren't bad enough (Gears) now you want to usher in the next console refresh sooner? Don't get me wrong. I love my 360, Wii, and PC all for different reasons (I cheated on my PS3 by putting a blu-ray drive in my HTPC and it left me for my best friend). But quite stoking the console fire first. It didn't put you where you are.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Microsoft better come up with their own high-capacity technology that compares to Blu-Ray or start using Blu-Ray in their next-gen console.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
That demo was the bomb, it was really what gaming should REALLY be about. I even freaked out saying "what is this? This is unbelievable." then I read some more "holy crap... sweet~!" hopefully, Sony and Microsoft take this into HUGE consideration. I mean technology is evolving, if those tablets can put out as much performance as consoles around the same price, I am pretty sure they could make consoles perform as good as pc's.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]No console maker cares, unless a few big time developers along with their publishers make actual DX11 games for pc that make DX9 look like filth, there won't be any real pressure to speed things up.[/citation]

That can't happen. When DX10 came out the only few things that would make the graphics improve over DX9 required non-existent hardware. To put it that way: the hardware was too weak to actually make use of these new features.

I think it is too early for new consoles. New consoles won't make big difference. And graphics is not the most important thing in a game. The most important part of a game is the gameplay itself and modern games lack gameplay. CoD, Crysis 1, etc. unending stream of beautiful but crappy games. Modern gamers just don't have a good taste.
Years ago when graphics was crap, the games tried to have gameplay or nobody would play them. These day a new game comes out. Wow, great amazing graphics. I try it and after 1 hour - "What a pile of crap!"

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Microsoft better come up with their own high-capacity technology that compares to Blu-Ray or start using Blu-Ray in their next-gen console.[/citation]
should go back to ROM or use flash cartridges, have you seen how long a ps3 takes to load some things? flash technology has advanced a lot i think they should use it. People dont want consoles that sit there installing games and loading screens, they want to play already!

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
PC gamers should stop upgrading until the next consoles role out. Then hold on to another upgrade cycle for the next 8-10 years until the next gen of consoles arrives since tech will now move forward based on console releases.

I am sure AMD and Nvidia will enjoy selling harware to us on 8-10yr cycles instead of the 2-3yr cycles when games actually used to progress.

G

More likely than the switch to bluray or flash in the next consoles is the switch to nothing. The profit incentive for console makers to make digital-distribution only machines is incredibly high. Bypass the retailer fee, the manufacture and distribution, and kill the second hand market. It will happen, eventually.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Software developers need to simplify things. They need to design games so that if you have a high end graphics card you get non animated graphics similar to what you see on, say, the Avatar Blu-Ray disc. Otherwise you get graphics similar to Wolfenstein 3D for DOS.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]i don't think sony is in too much of a rush with the things going on in japan.[/citation]

sony is an international conglomerate. earthquake effect, them... yea, but on a grand scale, as in pushing research back by a whole lot... no.

[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]They need to be more powerful to run UE4 at maximum detail. But we all know consoles don't run at maximum detail, they run at minimum.So in other words, a console that has the equivalent of a 5570 and a dual-core POWER6 processor (2 generations newer than the POWER4 but still 4 years old).[/citation]

consoles come out with top end parts, that you cant even get because the equivalent is retardedly expensive.

[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]No console maker cares, unless a few big time developers along with their publishers make actual DX11 games for pc that make DX9 look like filth, there won't be any real pressure to speed things up.[/citation]

fake it till you make it, following this logic, the only time that consoles will feel pressure is when tessellation gets used right, as in making a game look like it uses 10 million pollies to render a sceen, but only render 1-2 million.

other than that, 9 can look as good as 11, with enough tweaks and faking things, though it wont preform as well.

[citation][nom]shloader[/nom]Nice little bitch slap to the platform that made unreal technology popular in the first place. As if exclusive IP deals weren't bad enough (Gears) now you want to usher in the next console refresh sooner? Don't get me wrong. I love my 360, Wii, and PC all for different reasons (I cheated on my PS3 by putting a blu-ray drive in my HTPC and it left me for my best friend). But quite stoking the console fire first. It didn't put you where you are.[/citation]

actually it did.
they made an engine that runs great, people license it because of what it can do, and that building a engine from scratch, would take more time an money than to license it. if unreal 3 engine gets a major license for a major publisher, as a pay this much and use it however you see fit deal, than they don't make as much if they never need to buy a new engine again. i overly simplified that, but its a valid point.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Microsoft better come up with their own high-capacity technology that compares to Blu-Ray or start using Blu-Ray in their next-gen console.[/citation]

they don't really need to. what eats up most of the space on a dvd is video. if you don't pre render anything, than it eats up FAR less space.

if microsoft didn't penalize you for using more than one disc, you would see alot more games use 4 discs ( about 25gb of space )

installing games will be be a next gen out of the box feature, now lets look at it this way, 1 disc to run the game, 3-4 to install, covers the butts of 80%+ games, many may only take up 1 or 2 discs. now, it costs less than 18 cents per disc, but using a bluray, sony may charge 50cents plus per disc. lets assume that 1gb = 2 pennies for dvd, and bluray costs 1$ per disc with payment to sony included. a game would require to be 50gb+ before the bluray would be the cheaper solution, and even on the pc, where we use close to "next gen" graphics (texture wise), not 1 game goes into that range on game alone.
[citation][nom]marthian[/nom]That demo was the bomb, it was really what gaming should REALLY be about. I even freaked out saying "what is this? This is unbelievable." then I read some more "holy crap... sweet~!" hopefully, Sony and Microsoft take this into HUGE consideration. I mean technology is evolving, if those tablets can put out as much performance as consoles around the same price, I am pretty sure they could make consoles perform as good as pc's.[/citation]

that demo you are talking about used tri sli of the highest end nvidia card at the time of making it
i can wait till a game can look like that off a single card.

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]should go back to ROM or use flash cartridges, have you seen how long a ps3 takes to load some things? flash technology has advanced a lot i think they should use it. People dont want consoles that sit there installing games and loading screens, they want to play already![/citation]

the cheap flash you are thinking of actualy takes longer to load crap than a bluray.
when games are put on disc, they are put on in a way that they load in order what needs to be loaded, takeing away the biggest advantages flash has in loading, which is seek times. the games with loading problems, are ones that have to load from different places on the disc. would you be willing to pay 120+ (60$ for the game, and 60$ to cover the flash memory cost) per game

[citation][nom]kashifme21[/nom]PC gamers should stop upgrading until the next consoles role out. Then hold on to another upgrade cycle for the next 8-10 years until the next gen of consoles arrives since tech will now move forward based on console releases.I am sure AMD and Nvidia will enjoy selling harware to us on 8-10yr cycles instead of the 2-3yr cycles when games actually used to progress.[/citation]

no they will constantly evolve and give more head room. faster fps, and higher resolutions, because of business applications, home non gaming applications, ect... there are more uses for a uber cpu than just gaming, or pushing the graphics setting higher.

[citation][nom]manboy[/nom]More likely than the switch to bluray or flash in the next consoles is the switch to nothing. The profit incentive for console makers to make digital-distribution only machines is incredibly high. Bypass the retailer fee, the manufacture and distribution, and kill the second hand market. It will happen, eventually.[/citation]

retail is about 14$ per game for the store, not counting shipping costs. its why games bumped from 50 to 60$, well there are more reasons, but thats the simple one

[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Software developers need to simplify things. They need to design games so that if you have a high end graphics card you get non animated graphics similar to what you see on, say, the Avatar Blu-Ray disc. Otherwise you get graphics similar to Wolfenstein 3D for DOS.[/citation]

are you talking about product scaleing, they already do that in games.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Here's to consoles that can actually pull off decent resolutions and AA. Don't give me the "the gameplay is more important" sermon because gameplay is wack when you can't see a distant enemy because of the overall lowres/no-AA blur on current consoles and/or the game is running ~25-30 fps as soon as there are more than 2 characters in the screen.

The next gen consoles should have HD 6xxx derived graphics and a quadcore CPU.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]Here's to consoles that can actually pull off decent resolutions and AA. Don't give me the "the gameplay is more important" sermon because gameplay is wack when you can't see a distant enemy because of the overall lowres/no-AA blur on current consoles and/or the game is running ~25-30 fps as soon as there are more than 2 characters in the screen.The next gen consoles should have HD 6xxx derived graphics and a quadcore CPU.[/citation]

I think you miss the point... how long can you play a game like lets say Lair on your ps3 before the shiny graphics wear off and you realize you cant control your character properly and that you hate the game? What exactly do you think is going to happen to console games compared to pc games in the next 3-5 years? they will HAVE to scale down the graphics and you will NOT get that distant enemy drawn so you WILL get shot because consoles cant upgrade their graphics cards.

in 3-5 years 6xxx series cards will be bargain basement for gaming on. remember graphics card companies upgrade every 12-18 months.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The original unreal was a big graphical leap over games at the time but could still be played on mid to high end PCs.. Instead of whining about console hardware why don't they just release it on the PC in about a year? That might be what the PC industry needs to get back some marketshare.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
http://gamerdood.com/?p=1093

Developers are lazy and greedy. Rather than making a game for PC with cutting-edge image quality and having a lot of work to make stripped-down versions for console they do the very opposite as PCs can handle cheap graphics even if poorly optimized. Let's also consider not many will skip Crysis2 because it comes with awful image quality for current PC hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.