Epic: We'll Be Fully Vindicated in Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I lean towards agreeing with Silicon Knights.

I mean why would Epic put time to rush the engine to SK when they were going to develop a competing product?

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
How is this news? Any company subject to a lawsuit that's going to trial is going to offer a statement or press release claiming that once the jury considers the evidence, it will be clear they were innocent all along. Welcome to "Keeping Your Investors Happy 101."

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Recent stances taken by upper management of Epic make it hard for me to take their side in just about anything they cry foul over.

"The person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end video games are suffering very much on the PC" - Cliff Bleszinski regarding future Epic games coming to PC, namely Gears of War 2. I get it, it's not a direct labeling of self-builders as pirate. Nah... just an indirect one. Considering I just bought the last performance video card I'll buy as an adult I find this offensive. I have no games I didn't buy on my PC.

Then there's Mark Rein's initiative to further console tech refreshes at a faster pace, which he may have a point about if consoles become the exclusive focus of a lot of studios. Still. What he wants to have happen graphically is possible with PC hardware today. Little more offensive.

My more rational side says 'let the courts determine the truth of this', but the more biased side of myself feels it would be poetic if Epic had to hand over Gears of War 2 profits. Someone should tell Mark and Cliffy they could make up that loss with a PC title release.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The UE3 Engine was available to developers for quite a while, and there were games that came out BEFORE Gears & UT3. UT3 came out very late and was a sloppy mess.

Too Human got so-so reviews and WAS designed to be a Trilogy - rather than making a very good first game, they were planning on making money with continued sales.

Epic makes quite a bit of money from the licensing of their engine. Making a few of their own games is also a great way of knowing how that engine works and where it needs improvements.

Too Human DID get released to the market. At that point, its lackluster sales has nothing to do with Epic.

Agustus69

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
"I get it, it's not a direct labeling of self-builders as pirate. Nah... just an indirect one. Considering I just bought the last performance video card I'll buy as an adult I find this offensive. I have no games I didn't buy on my PC."

Good for you - neither do I. But just because you don't, doesn't mean it isn't happening. There have been tens of millions if not hundreds of millions of PC game illegal downloads over the last decade. I have no problem with Cliff Bleszinski's statement on that issue.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I lean towards agreeing with Silicon Knights.I mean why would Epic put time to rush the engine to SK when they were going to develop a competing product?[/citation]

They have since the beginning been a game engine company,there games are basically tech demos to sell there engine,just like ID/Crytek.Whats hard to understand about that?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Ogdin[/nom]They have since the beginning been a game engine company,there games are basically tech demos to sell there engine,just like ID/Crytek.Whats hard to understand about that?[/citation]

id makes games to sell the engines, as their games were always meh compared to what else is available (scence the 3d era really kicked off)

crytek makes a hell of an engine, and sells it, but their games are a big part of their company.

epic makes a damn good engine, and sells it. their games come first though.

ccstooge

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Make good games consistently and don't rape your consumer. The only games I actually buy are console games, namely Wii and Xbox 360. Why? I don't play PC games, as great and amazing looking as they are, because a new PC game costs so much, are (namely) 1 player (or multi player online, which isn't couple friendly), and I would require a graphics card in, above all else, my RAID-multi-terabyte server. The last game I played on PC was Starcraft 2 and it is because Blizzard makes one hell of a game in the SC and the Diablo series. I've devoted much of my life to those 2 enterprises, and paid money for both of them. If I were a single bachelor I would most definitely pirate more because there are great PC games, but again none of them are worth paying for to get the "extra" online experience. With 95+% of games, you beat it and there is no further satisfaction. House of the dead, Resident evil, etc are the 100% exceptions - turn up the hardness and go apeshit.

Agustus69

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Oh, that's brilliant ccstooge. "Because PC games don't make my exceptional personal standard, it's OK for me steal them." Sounds like something I'd hear from a 13 year old.

Thanks for contributing to the problem.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
There's lots that is just plain wrong with ccstooge's statement. PC games too expensive? You must have never heard of Steam. I don't buy console games because they're too expensive. Although I agree that a Wii is much better multiplayer, but that's only if you're going to play with casual gamers or people who simply don't "get" what playing games is for. Allow me to remind you that a 200$ video card is not that expensive when you consider that the sh*t version of a console is often pricier than that. Fact is, your facts are just plain wrong.

And by the way, no game developer has the intention of NOT making good games consistently.

/rant

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]ccstooge[/nom]Make good games consistently and don't rape your consumer. The only games I actually buy are console games, namely Wii and Xbox 360. Why? I don't play PC games, as great and amazing looking as they are, because a new PC game costs so much, are (namely) 1 player (or multi player online, which isn't couple friendly), and I would require a graphics card in, above all else, my RAID-multi-terabyte server. The last game I played on PC was Starcraft 2 and it is because Blizzard makes one hell of a game in the SC and the Diablo series. I've devoted much of my life to those 2 enterprises, and paid money for both of them. If I were a single bachelor I would most definitely pirate more because there are great PC games, but again none of them are worth paying for to get the "extra" online experience. With 95+% of games, you beat it and there is no further satisfaction. House of the dead, Resident evil, etc are the 100% exceptions - turn up the hardness and go apeshit.[/citation]

So what your saying is that your too cheap to drop a $80 Radion 5770 in your torrent box (Don't lie you don't have at home a multi TB raid server and not be seeding like johny appleseed) and then wait for a steam sale where the game ends up being $40 a month after its' launched, while it's still $60+ sales tax at the local built without "bricks n pricks" store? Where's that "you are an idiot" song when you need it...

As for games not being couple friendly, that's damn near every title out there for the consoles unless it launched with motion controls. You want a good game for you and your wife play a MMO. One of you tank, the other can heal / nuke. GF is on an EVE trial account right now with a Amarr cruiser being my little drone boat of doom while I sit there in a Apocolypse making heretics taste the rainbow with mah lazor! Or I Mine in null with her there keeping me company. COrp loves her too. Best part. Her animals in farmville are starving to death!

adiposity

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]shloader[/nom]Recent stances taken by upper management of Epic make it hard for me to take their side in just about anything they cry foul over.

"The person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end video games are suffering very much on the PC"
- Cliff Bleszinski regarding future Epic games coming to PC, namely Gears of War 2.

I get it, it's not a direct labeling of self-builders as pirate. Nah... just an indirect one. [/citation]

Yeah, but he's right. If you know enough to build your own machine for Crysis, you probably know how to pirate it. That doesn't mean you will, but it means you can. Therefore, piracy is more of an issue for high-end games because they are dealing mostly with tech-savvy people.

It's like saying illegal street racing is more common among car modders.

Not that I want to defend Epic management, but this statement has nothing wrong with it. It seems like it is probably accurate, and it doesn't mean all self-builders are pirates. Though, I have to admit, one of the attractions of self-building when I was a kid was that I knew I could get the OS for free...thus having more money to put into the box.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i hope i get on this jury trial, they're both guilty!
[citation][nom]ccstooge[/nom]Make good games consistently and don't rape your consumer. The only games I actually buy are console games, namely Wii and Xbox 360. Why? I don't play PC games, as great and amazing looking as they are, because a new PC game costs so much, are (namely) 1 player (or multi player online, which isn't couple friendly), and I would require a graphics card in, above all else, my RAID-multi-terabyte server. The last game I played on PC was Starcraft 2 and it is because Blizzard makes one hell of a game in the SC and the Diablo series. I've devoted much of my life to those 2 enterprises, and paid money for both of them. If I were a single bachelor I would most definitely pirate more because there are great PC games, but again none of them are worth paying for to get the "extra" online experience. With 95+% of games, you beat it and there is no further satisfaction. House of the dead, Resident evil, etc are the 100% exceptions - turn up the hardness and go apeshit.[/citation]
while you are torrent pirating with that server, i'll still be able to play EVERY console game ever made on my pc with an emulator.
it's a pity games are MOSTLY made for console and then emulated right from the makers to pc users for the last 10 years. it truely shows in this archaic graphics like modern warfare2.
it's like they just quit and gave up on developing realism and just started throwing fancy flash and glam on top to cover that up. nvidia has demos from back then that look more real and better then what's out on the market designed for consoles to use today

Status
Not open for further replies.