Ericsson Wants Out of the Phone Business: Say What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I have a feeling that Ericsson's decision about the continuation of this business will be based on market factors, not consumer's informal votes.

alex_314

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
my S-E w980i is the best cellphone I've ever owned - crystal clear sound, awesome mp3 player, good reception, decent battery life, faste menus, and the only crash was caused by connecting to pc. I had some rough feelings for p990 but it had it's charm. I've briefly owned ericsson t28, it was one sexy phone for it's time.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I like SE's phones as they retain vale better than other makers'. Samsung phone drop in price twice as quickly as SE's and generally felt rushed. My father’s W580 (2mp) took better picture than my Samsung Soul’s 5mp camera.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I used to work at Ericsson when they first merged with Sony and I thought their handsets where much better before than they were after. Sony as a sole handset manufacturer will fail. Just like all their other products. They have a tendency to have great ideas but their delivery just sucks, not to mention they are always priced well above their competition. Can you say MiniDisc, PS3, PSP, UMD, and my all time favorite BETA Max?

G

Sony is one of the few companies I now actively avoid, regardless of what products they release (which is normally easy as most of them are overpriced crap like the Vaio line). What mostly annoys me about them though is their complete lack of respect for their customers. "You have a problem with the product you just bought? Well, we could fix it in an update, but we're not going to. We'll make sure to only fix the issue in our upcoming products so that you're forced to spend further money if you really want it fixed. Thank you for wasting your time with Sony". And they bring this attitude to all companies they take over or merge with - Ericsson, Minolta, even Sonic Foundry support experience was entirely different before these companies went down with the Sony-disease. Sony is like the antithesis of king Midas, everything it touches turns to crap.

G

the w580 my sister had been using is trash. Broken keys, crashing... it just failed despite being replaced by a new headset 3 times in one year (it would have been 4 if not for the 1 year limited warranty)! The latest 'feature' of the phone was having the display randomly flip so that EVERYTHING was backwards (if you held it up to a mirror it would look normal.

I must say though that my other sisters pink 580 has not had one problem... :-\

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I had a Sony Ericsson phone for work and loved it. I thought that their phones were always pretty nice. If Sony takes over 100%, they will fail. I am with a lot of people and avoid Sony at whatever cost I can. Although, I am failing at that because I own a Sony TV (cheapest at BB) and a PS3.

G

I think Sony will be fine without Ericsson. Sony made really good cell phone in Japan without Ericsson's help before they merged. I see no reason why they still need to be joined with Ericsson. I think Sony only joined with Ericsson back in the day because they wanted the Ericsson brand recognition that Ericsson had for the Western and European Markets.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
I miss my old T10s. I had a blue one. Good phone. The old phones could take a beating, so to speak. Not as fragile as today's phones. And the software was much better too.. not many crashes.. About the news, if they put some effort into stability and such, people will probably buy more of there phones..

G

I had both Ericsson and S-E phones and I loved the Ericsson ones while the S-E ones didn't work so well for me and I generally hate their designs (exceptions: p800, M600i, T68i). I was really sorry when Ericsson phones ended and I think Sony phones suck.

Offtopic: Sony makes above average Tv's and notebooks but I can't imagine buying anything else from them

G

I have a k500i (got it free with the subscription) and love it. Great sound quality (phones included), nice 2 meg pics, good Java compatibility (I've seen issues with other companies on that), fast menus, battery lasts a lot. The only thing I wish was a bigger display (240x320 instead of 176x220), but I'm not willing to fork the cash.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I honestly like Sony ericsson phones, in my opinion they are one of the best cellphone makers if not the best.

Never had any problems with my w880.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I don't really care if erricson goes out of the phone business. I actually think erricson phones suck since they haven't thrown a decent smartphone yet. But if Sony buys Erricson's share, then that would actually be a better option.

belter

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I loved my t68i and P800 and my wife loves her w8xx phones. However, I was really disapponted with my M600i. I can't get rid of the POS. I am now on a Samsung Blackjack II with WM6.1 and have not been this happy since my p800. Goodbye SE. You were great for a while but I am now in love with the latest WM devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.