Error 31 message

AIRHEAD

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
Hello,

I have a Toshiba U840W, and I have windows 8 installed.

I want to use my (old) printer which is an HP officejet 5510, but my laptop doesn´t detect my printer when I plug it in via USB.

I have tried going to HP and downloading both the driver and the windows diagnostic tools,but neither of them work, since both of these programs insist I connect the laptop to the printer. My laptop doesn´t ´see´any USB connection though, which is quite annoying.

It is not a faulty cable, I think, since the cable I use works perfectly well with my external Lacie CD-rom player

Is this a windows 8 problem? Does this have anything to do with my USB connection? Is the printer just too old?

Furthermore, I have found in my devices manager, when checking the USB ports, a Error code 31, and I think there COULD be a solution there, if I solve the error code, I can connect the printer, if I am able to connect the printer, I can install the driver, right?

My question therefore is:

How can I solve a Error code 31 message?

Please help. I can afford another printer and I am a teacher for whom printing at home is a must.

Thanks in advance for any trouble,

Airhead.

HumdrumPenguin

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Try different usb ports. If it doesn't work, try plugging a usb flash card and see if the computer reads it. If it does, the problem might be with your printer, and you'd have to change it. If it doesn't your motherboard is defective and can't read through usb anymore.

AIRHEAD

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Thanks for your help. My USB port works fine. I use it everyday with other devices.

I have checked the compatibility of windows 8.1 with my printer in the windows compatability centre and it is compatible, so buying another printer is a bit of a drastic solution for the moment.

Furthermore, I have found in my devices manager, when checking the USB ports, a Error code 31, and I think there COULD be a solution there, if I solve the error code, I can connect the printer, if I am able to connect the printer, I can install the driver, right?

My question therefore is:

How can I solve a Error code 31 message?

Thanks again for the trouble