ESPN 3D Kicking Off With World Cup This June

Status
Not open for further replies.

zjuice

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
If there is anything that would make me move to 3D this would. But money stops me since I just bought a house. I think buying a house was a better move then upgrading my one year old 1080p TV.

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Dammit! I hope there's a bar near me with an overpriced 3D TV where I can catch the opening match. GO TRICOLOR!

okoaomo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I will not be watching... Even in 2D for that matter...

Unless you are just plane filthy rich, I do not see a need ever to buy a 3D setup.

kri77777

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]atticus052[/nom]And I just got a blue-ray player for Christmas.....[/citation]

...I don't even have Blue-ray...

captaincharisma

Distinguished
what the hell is with all the 3D crap lately?!! did i go back in time to the 1970's?!! what ever happened to just sitting down and watching something without having to wear special glasses?

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]okoaomo[/nom]I will not be watching... Even in 2D for that matter...Unless you are just plane filthy rich, I do not see a need ever to buy a 3D setup.[/citation]

i agree but that's what they said about HDTV years ago.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i agree but that's what they said about HDTV years ago.[/citation]

I remember when my buddy was in the US Navy and stationed in Japan, and they already had HDTV in 1989.

It is scary that we didn't have it here in the USA as a common item until a decade later or more. I got my first, 26" HD LCD for about $800 in 2004.

America will get it when the electronics industry here has cleared out enough older HD stuff and has enough 3D-capable stuff ready to sell at top price to guarantee their desire to stuff their pockets. Their interest lies in that, rather than driving technology forward.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
this is awesome! after seeing how real avatar looked in 3D, sports in 3D could be amazing! Couple that to a rumble pack it it might feel like your the one getting tackled! lol

atticus052

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
By no means did I intend to imply I'll be watching in 2D either... I think toms hardware is the wrong crowd to troll for such an audience.

grillz9909

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Oops! Wow that was an accident.

[citation][nom]jcknouse[/nom]I remember when my buddy was in the US Navy and stationed in Japan, and they already had HDTV in 1989.It is scary that we didn't have it here in the USA as a common item until a decade later or more. I got my first, 26" HD LCD for about $800 in 2004.America will get it when the electronics industry here has cleared out enough older HD stuff and has enough 3D-capable stuff ready to sell at top price to guarantee their desire to stuff their pockets. Their interest lies in that, rather than driving technology forward.[/citation]

You're a tool if you think they had "hdtv" in 1989. I'm not saying the technology was not there, cause it probably was. But a TV with a resolution over 640x480 was not a household item back then. For anyone. And what kind of media do you think was around back then that used a 720p or 1080p resolution (that could be found in a household)?

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
IMHO for 3D TV to become widely acceptable, the special required eyewear would have to be comfortable, inexpensive (or expensive for those wanting better quality and looks) and widely available in different styles. Also the eyewear should not interfere with common household activities any more than wearing a common set of sunshades.

The only technology I know of that fits this bill is the one using polarised light (the tech that IMAX uses). IMAX 3D is indeed very impressive (with the right software), and even though I have very sensitive eyes and am a migraine sufferer, I never had any discomfort wearing their use-it-and-chuck-it polarised shades worn over my prescription glasses. I know that such a system could easily be implemented in the home using a front projection system. I have not heard of any proposed method for bringing it to flat panel displays.

I simply do not see shuttered glasses taking off in anything other than niche markets. This technology is theoretically superior since it allows less leakage of the image intended for one eye into the view of the other. The other technology is using micro-prisms. It works quite well but only under a very viewing angle range, so it won't work for audiences

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]blackbeastofaaaaagh[/nom]... I have not heard of any proposed method for bringing it to flat panel displays.I simply do not see shuttered glasses taking off in anything other than niche markets. This technology is theoretically superior since it allows less leakage of the image intended for one eye into the view of the other. ...[/citation]

It seems that IZ3D has been making polarised LCD monitors for few years.
I have tried both polarised and shutter 3d glasses in theatre and the shutter method is definitely better for me.
The polarised method had a kind of blurry effect.
It was not with the same movies and not in the same theatre so may be it was due to that.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
> The polarised method had a kind of blurry effect.

I used to notice that with older movies. However the last 3D movie I saw in an IMAX "Monsters vs. Aliens" was truly spectacular. The 3D affect was genuine, instead of gimmicky, it was smooth and I could see no blur.

If I have some time this week I plan to see Avatar at the local IMAX.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
> You're a tool if you think they had "hdtv" in 1989. I'm not saying the technology was not there, cause it probably was. But a TV with a resolution over 640x480 was not a household item back then. For anyone. And what kind of media do you think was around back then that used a 720p or 1080p resolution (that could be found in a household)?

Japan has a far larger number of "gadget freaks" than in the USA. While not quite mainstream, they are large enough in number that manufacturers and SW companies make products targeting them and take them seriously enough. Don't forget that many of the highest bleeding-tech equipment are simply not sold in the US since there is not enough of a market here.

By 1989 there were quite a few options to watch movies in a (equivalent for analog) resolution of around 640x480 (while not considered HD today, back in the day people who saw them were amazed at the quality). Betamax always had I large following there simply because it was better than VHS. The movies released in the final analog Beta standard which came out around 1988 was slightly better in picture quality than DVD (with high quality analog equipment) but lacked 5 channel sound. Pioneer's Laserdisk offered a resolution close to 640x480 and was available by 1985. S-VHS movies were available there by around 1987 (if my memory is correct). Video was also released in the Hi-8 tape format, however I don't recall if they came out before or after 1990. I actually used to see the occasional few Hi8 movies selling at various high end electronics shops here in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.