Ethics in software sales

Will you abandon app suppliers who suddenly release a new product days after you purchased an older

• He'll No! I like getting stiffed!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • What choice do I have? The alternative is Maoism :(

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes! I will cross them off my Christmas list!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EdBakersfield

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
I am at odds with an app distributor for iOS7 software who released an "upgrade" only days after I had bought the product. The "upgrade" is, rather, an update without any cost savings for previous owners. Other app developers have provided information regarding future releases. Microsoft, for example, often advises concerning new software, what it will cost and when the release date will occur.

I consider it unethical to surprise customers with a new release while, up to the last minute, selling the older product. Am I alone in this belief?

Ijack

Distinguished
Get real. Software companies update their products from time to time. You really expect them to stop selling the old version, say, a month before they release the new one?

You were happy to pay what you paid for the product on the day that you bought it. The product that you bought hasn't changed, so what's the problem?

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
When it comes to software and electronics, expect it to be obsolete the day you buy it. It's just a fact of life. Those industries advance quickly.

I totally agree with this statement. Enjoy what you got, after all, that's why you purchased it.