Europe's War on Google Could Ruin Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
"A Bing search bar on your Android home screen? Yahoo Maps replacing Google Maps? Microsoft Outlook instead of Gmail?"------------------Is that a bad thing? Why can't people have a chose which product to chose from.

What if Microsoft said that from now on our OS will only run on Microsoft made and designed chips, would you be OK with that?

arneberg

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
About time that google gets what they deserve just becouse they are a tecnology company they can´t do what they want it´s not better than if a state take as much info about individuals so i have waited for this

morairtym

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
"A Bing search bar on your Android home screen? Yahoo Maps replacing Google Maps? Microsoft Outlook instead of Gmail?"------------------Is that a bad thing? Why can't people have a chose which product to chose from.

What if Microsoft said that from now on our OS will only run on Microsoft made and designed chips, would you be OK with that?
Well If I wanted to not have google as my default service provider I would look at a different platform. Also If I want to add other apps the best thing about an open source os is you can. If anyone is to blame its Bing search for its crappy results, Yahoo maps for its lack of updates and lack of an android app for that matter, and Microsoft for is own crappy mail service.

If Microsoft wanted me to use there chips and they were not shit/overpriced I would not care. You always have other os out there you can use. Same for phones if you want a Microsoft product there is even a windows phone. Hell even apple has a phone that's not crap now.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Another sign that the EU is looking for a way out of there other messes. They complain that can't slap Google on something unless Google says it's ok, and they have QC checks for it, while at the same time all iOS devices require browsers to use Apple's webkit to run.

Another example of technologically inept bureaucrats trying to take over the lives of those of us that can make real choices.

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
The stupidity of the EU amazes me. If you don't like it install or buy something different. Why is crapple exempt from all of this? Sounds rather fishy that not being able to select different searches etc is a massive deal but being forced to use crapple products because you bought a crapple product is okay?

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
If the Commission decides that Google has been similarly abusive regarding Android, it could force Google to make drastic changes in how the Android OS is installed and configured on handsets, just as, years ago, it forced Microsoft to limit the preinstallation of Internet Explorer on Windows PCs.

How is google's supposed "anti competitive" stance even related to the issue Microsoft had with IE integrated? With the Microsoft issue you had a piece of software so buried into the OS you couldn't rip it out without hosing the OS itself.

You can use Google search on any other device easily and and you can use a different search device on your Google device just as easily. Google is not trying to force one market with another market outside strictly the name alone. I guess it's illegal now for a company to have more than one product?

Sakkura

Distinguished
I'm not convinced by this case against Google. But the case against them because of Google search results prioritizing Google products over competitors is legitimate in my opinion.

As for criticizing the EU for being slow, it's generally been faster in the tech area than the American system. The Intel Pentium 4 lawsuit just recently got resolved.

digitalw

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I like windows and windows phone, but Google is not a problem. There is actually no problem. I see EU Commission want's my Toyota Corolla to use a Fiat car parts in the engine, Volvo for brakes, Renault parts for... no, that is not good. EU has gone to far. I like MS services and Google services. I use my Windows Phone for work and Androd phone for play, ant that's it! I don't need to mix them.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I don't understand why a Company can build an OPEN Ecosystem and come under EU fire for anything anti-competitive, when another company with a completely CLOSED ecosystem is not. I don't want to HAVE to use iTunes, but If I have bought into Apple where are my options?? However If I get an Android product I can do nearly anything on it with many choices for even a single task. In the Apple world I only have apple options and they are all crappish.

It seems to me that a lot of Apple/Google/Microsoft products are competitive, and if you want to compete you need to build a good product, not try to derail the other already good products. Blackberry didn't make way for android and apple, they were moved out or the way by superior options.

LOL....EU.. What a joke. -CB

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'm not convinced by this case against Google. But the case against them because of Google search results prioritizing Google products over competitors is legitimate in my opinion.

As for criticizing the EU for being slow, it's generally been faster in the tech area than the American system. The Intel Pentium 4 lawsuit just recently got resolved.

then dont use google.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Screw the eu. Andriod is free and open. You can, freely change the launcher and default apps to whatever you feel like. Try doing that with Apple! Why do they not go after them??

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Screw the eu. Andriod is free and open. You can, freely change the launcher and default apps to whatever you feel like. Try doing that with Apple! Why do they not go after them??

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Screw the eu. Andriod is free and open.

Let me start by saying I don't think this litigation by the EU is truly necessary. But as for being "free and open", that's not entirely true. From the consumer point of view it's somewhat "open". But a lot of the really important stuff that is vital to a fully functional Android device (the only kind that sells very well in developed nations) is actually not open source and you license it from Google. They make them sign confidential agreements that lock them into using their code, and lock them out of using Android forks.

Google also bundles all of their core apps together to shut out competing ones. For example if a phone manufacturer wants their phone to have access to Google Play (and all the apps, games, and media that comes with it) you have to bundle all those other apps and services. The EU at a minimum wants to make this bundling optional and possibly break up the contracts locking them out of using forks.

I'm not a big fan of EU tech litigation, but they already went after MS for bundling Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player in Windows so I'm not surprised by this. Google is the top dog in smartphones. They SHOULD go after Apple too for similar lockdowns, but because of Apple's smaller marketshare I doubt they will. Not to mention that Apple is selling their own devices and thus isn't forcing any third party OEM into doing anything. They're restricting themselves, effectively, so it's kind of hard to litigate that without getting really dangerous. On a related note this wouldn't affect Google's first-party models for the same reason.

Realistically whether you think this is stupid or great the final impact of this will probably be minimal. Most manufacturers will continue about their business as usual, and any changes will be up to them. Not to mention that any changes can be reversed by the consumer.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Fine since they speak for all EU users then it will be OK to block Google services from the EU.
Android is open source and free there can be no claim against Google of monopoly. There were plenty of Phone/PDA OSs before Android they failed to garner popularity I feel because they were not open source. Google has invested Billions in developing it's systems and infrastructure. The advertising part of their business model has kept a large portion of their offerings free to use and brought profits to millions of businesses just through search results both paid or unpaid. The motivation for this suit is dubious at best and sounds more like a shake down for a failing EU economy.

The EU case against MS for including IE and Media Player was also bogus, MS has the right to include any features they want.

If the EU wants to come up with a competitive solution then put up or shut up.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Hmm... In the end google have to separatistien operation system Android and applications ala Google-something. I like google apu They mostly works like a charm, but most bropably They have to go the ay of Windows where the is is there, but with no app Bundless.
After that people can buy Android device and down-lasten those aps They like... Like google docks like I would. They there would not be "unfair" adwantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.