News EV charging has a big problem — and it has nothing to do with recharge time

Goblin4

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
Why have an app at all or RFID? It does not work in underground car parks, not everyone have a phone, PAYG users don't have data services on their phone and can't lend your car to someone else without 20 or so apps and cards etc. etc..
Contactless payment or credit card is the way to go. No app or phone or mobile network issues. Also, when I'm using a petrol station to charge up, why can't I pay cash like other car users? Why discriminate against electric car users.

Goblin4

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
Oh, what about security. The more apps you use, the more networks you need to sign up with and provide all sorts of data including payment details. In the current hacking climate where everyone and everybody is getting hacked, do you trust your charging networks to keep your data safe? And in the UK, it's not 4 networks, it's more like 20.

If you have an ICE vehicle, all this nonsense is irrelevant. You fill up and pay. That's it.
Nobody tracks where you filled up, and no unnecessary information was taken from you. Why can't we do the same with electricity? I vote Contactless, Credit Card and where possible, cash payments only. NO RFIDs, no apps, no mobile phones, no reception issues.

Aug 1, 2021
The same is not true with them all. Ecotricity, which operates car charging points up and down the U.K.’s motorway network, can be quite slow to catch up,

Seeing as this article is only one day old, I think it's you that needs to catch up. Ecotricity no longer operates car charging points, having been taken over by Gridserve, who are currently replacing all the old units with new, highly reliable units catering for more types of vehicle, and without requiring the use of an app.

Oh, and I didn't realise we had gas stations in the UK.