Question Eventually need to get new phones, but not excited with any new ones

Jul 7, 2024
I don't mean for this to come across as a complaint but more of a request for assistance. Here's the situation: there are two phones: an S9 and an S10. The S10 is still going strong with about 5-6 hours SOT. The S9 only gets around 3 hours SOT and needs to be frequently charged. Sometimes the S9 charges extra slow.

But looking at the new devices is disappointing. The base S24 is nearly the same size as the S10 and has the same amount of RAM, storage, and 90% of the same software including Routines, Dex, and Quickshare. After 5 years I'm not seeing an upgrade. Google Pixel phones are no better spec wise, and Apple has its own issues. The best way to sum it up is there is no phone out there that I've fallen in love with.

What is the best option? Should I look at replacing the S9 with an S24, replacing the S9's battery, or is there a device out there that I missed or should I wait? Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you are happy with your existing phones and they meet your needs, just replace the battery and press on. Maybe something will eventually come along that you like better than current offerings.

The current Samsung S-series and Google Pixels are excellent phones, but it sounds like there is no compelling case for you to upgrade immediately.

Jul 7, 2024
That's how I tend to feel about it, although I honestly don't know if S9 replacement batteries will hold a good charge considering it was produced 6 years ago. The previous phone was an S6. Jumping up to the S10 more than doubled the ram, quadrupled the storage, included two extra cameras, and added Routines and Dex. I thought this kind of innovation would continue, but everything appears to have stagnated instead.

Domain Rider

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2017
I don't mean for this to come across as a complaint but more of a request for assistance. Here's the situation: there are two phones: an S9 and an S10. The S10 is still going strong with about 5-6 hours SOT. The S9 only gets around 3 hours SOT and needs to be frequently charged. Sometimes the S9 charges extra slow.

But looking at the new devices is disappointing. The base S24 is nearly the same size as the S10 and has the same amount of RAM, storage, and 90% of the same software including Routines, Dex, and Quickshare. After 5 years I'm not seeing an upgrade. Google Pixel phones are no better spec wise, and Apple has its own issues. The best way to sum it up is there is no phone out there that I've fallen in love with.

What is the best option? Should I look at replacing the S9 with an S24, replacing the S9's battery, or is there a device out there that I missed or should I wait? Thanks.
Reading the specs and using the phone are very different. I upgraded from an S23+ to an S24 (I wanted something smaller) and found it was a noticeable upgrade, particularly concerning cameras, speed, and battery life.

I jumped in early direct with Samsung, traded in another phone, and got the doubled storage free, so it was (relatively) good value, but there are other offers just as good around. The Samsung warranty is 2 years and 7 years software support & upgrades, which isn't bad.

Reactions: Primo S
Jul 7, 2024
Reading the specs and using the phone are very different. I upgraded from an S23+ to an S24 (I wanted something smaller) and found it was a noticeable upgrade, particularly concerning cameras, speed, and battery life.

I jumped in early direct with Samsung, traded in another phone, and got the doubled storage free, so it was (relatively) good value, but there are other offers just as good around. The Samsung warranty is 2 years and 7 years software support & upgrades, which isn't bad.
Sorry for responding late. It's a good thing you got the storage upgrade because you kept UFS 4.0, which the S23+ had. Compared to the 128GB model, this doubles the read speeds and increases the write speed by 50%.

I have looked at the S24 series in the stores, even tested the Spen. I know it's not the same as actually using them. They're definitely faster and battery life is a must, but it just feels hard for me personally to justify the jump right now. Perhaps I'm just overthinking it and will change my mind. I appreciate the input.

Reactions: Domain Rider