Eventvwr Scam thing

leandro1118

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
a indien guy from microsoft called and wanted me to go to eventvwr and do somthing i pressed flag and r then this thing came that said run i typed eventvwr then this thing came up and i did not know what it was or what to do there so hung up i did not download or delete anything am i safe ?

Solution
SCAMS.

In agreement with the previous posts but I have changed my position on "wasting their time". Did that for quite awhile as time, mood, and circumstances permitted.

Does not stop them and only flags your number as being "live". They sell your number over and over and you will get more and more calls.

I had gone to the extent of looking up and printing out the website screens of the sites they wanted me to go and download stuff. Usually some software that would give them access to and control of my system.

When they called I unplugged my network connection but could pretend I was connected (by describing where I was "on the screen") as they told me to do. Claimed Error 404. Typed letters "D" 'O", "T", instead of a period...

Hyboria

Estimable
Aug 25, 2015
If you just opened up event viewer and didn't do anything you should be fine.

Also for future reference Microsoft will NEVER call you

Edit: got confused between teamviewer and event viewer :|

reedo_43

Distinguished
They want to show you errors in the event viewer that always exist in certain portions of it. Then explain that your pc has been compromised and charge you money to fix it. Just hang up. If you are a tech like me, go along for the ride and waste as much of there time as possible :)

SCAMS.

In agreement with the previous posts but I have changed my position on "wasting their time". Did that for quite awhile as time, mood, and circumstances permitted.

Does not stop them and only flags your number as being "live". They sell your number over and over and you will get more and more calls.

I had gone to the extent of looking up and printing out the website screens of the sites they wanted me to go and download stuff. Usually some software that would give them access to and control of my system.

When they called I unplugged my network connection but could pretend I was connected (by describing where I was "on the screen") as they told me to do. Claimed Error 404. Typed letters "D" 'O", "T", instead of a period. Claimed I could not hear them due to the background noise and/or accents.

Drove them nuts but overall but they then kept trying and trying.

I got Nomorobo and pretty much ended the matter with such calls especially Windows Services and Credit Card Services. However the latter has just lately been able to get back through and are again leaving answering machine messages.

Reedo_43's advice "Just hang up" is the best way to deal with them.

(And by the way the IRS will never call you either. Those fake calls will start next and show a government IRS number, the caller will have a badge number. They will threaten you with jail, "the police are on their way", they will know and tell you the nearest location to immediately wire them money. Do not do it. It is a scam. Hang up immediately.)

Solution