Every download a virus?

revaew

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I am at my parent's house for the holidays and I was trying to us IE 11 to download firefox. When i went to download the installer, a little notification popped up telling me that the file was a virus and that the download had been cancelled. I tried it several times with the same result. Next I tried downloading chrome and was met with the same results.

I opened up their AVG free 2015 and disabled everything and tried again. no dice. Then I went into windows firewall settings and went to look at itmes there and was met with "Update your firewall settings" and an option to "use reccomended settings". When I click this option I am met with a dialog box that states "Windows firewall cannot change some of your settings. Error code: 0x80070424"

I then went to a microsoft source to download a fix for this but I cannot download the Microsoft Mr.fix files as I am told they are a virus.

I can also look at Windows Defender in control panel but the icon is gone. It is just a "blank piece of paper" in it's place.

I ran CCleaner and malware bytes and they didn't turn up much. The PC is running windows 7 64bit. Thanks for any help

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So I guess the question is... what is telling you it is a virus? Is it IE? a plugin? a virus trying to protect itself? some crazy registry error? Obviously Defender is not working correctly (In win7 shouldn't it be Microsoft Security Essentials? I though Defender was win8+ only).

You have CCleaner installed, that has a pretty good registry cleaner. I would run that a few times and see if that helps clear things up.

Can you download things like email attachments?

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have a virus. AVG free 2015 is crap you need to run Combofix and RogueKiller you can find them at bleepingcomputers.com
If you cant download restart you computer in safe mode with networking.

revaew

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

IE is telling me that everything is a virus. You may be correct in saying that defender is 8 only, but i still see it in my control panel. I was not up to date on that since I don't own any windows 8 devices/PC's. I have run CCleaner about 4 times and the problem persisted.

You have a virus. AVG free 2015 is crap you need to run Combofix and RogueKiller you can find them at bleepingcomputers.com
If you cant download restart you computer in safe mode with networking.

I will be trying this now. I'll post back with results. Thanks

revaew

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
So I got rid of a couple of things via the programs mentioned. Now I can downlaod everything fine but when I restrted my PC, I could not connect to window services. Also, all aero themes have been disabled and I cannot enable them. Any ideas?

revaew

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I really didn't want to reinstall windows. is that my only option at this point? I just noticed that things like the audio services and whatnot are not running. and windows solution center cannot download solutions

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go to start run type msconfig go to the services tab then click enable all.
In the same tab put a check in hide all Microsoft services uncheck all unknown manufacturer.
Restart the computer check add remove programs a features remove avg and all bull sh## like toolbars and mind spark crap.
Look at your drivers and see if you have missing or add in drivers. If you still have no sound just reinstall windows.

revaew

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I already go rid of all of the junk that they had on their computer. I'm probably going to have to just reinstall windows. That would probably be easier/faster that this.

revaew

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

just reinstalled windows. Everything works now. Thanks for the help. Now if i can get my little siblings to not click sketchy things...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Make an admin acct that only RESPONSIBLE adults have access to, but that they do not use on a regular basis. Everyone else then gets a standard limited user acct to limit the damage that they can do.

Also, get an external HDD and while you have a fresh install do a system backup so that WHEN this happens again, you can recover more quickly.