Everyone Hates Clamshell Packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Clamshell packaging is dangerous as all get out. I cannot COUNT the number of times a very sharp pair of scissors was nearly ripped out of my hands and sent into my eyes by the clamshell packaging on various items..... I simply stopped buying stuff that came in clamshell after awhile, unless there was no alternative.

G

I will not buy anything in a clamshell package, or I make the merchant agree to cut open the package open for me immediately after my purchase. Made that choice years ago after my first "stab myself in the arm with a razor knife" trying to get the product out. It was a stereo headset. Still remember how angry and frustrated I was trying get that thing open!

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't care how difficult the packaging is to open, I'd just like to see products avoid the use of plastics altogether. Also, there is no need to have a cubic foot of packaging for something as small as a set of headphones or a memory card. Seriously, this is such a waste of resources. Use small paper-based packaging please.

G

OMG people! Is there nothing else to bitch about?! 6000 American's sent to the ER by clamshell packaging every year... Sounds like Darwin is hard at work here, but the stupid idiots just won't die!! It's a plastic wrapping, cmon...

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
It just adds to the incredible amount of plastic waste that we create and toss away. It bothers me much more from an ecological stand point than anything else.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I mean seriously, razor blade? How dumb do you have to be? Someone doesn't know that you're not supposed to cut TOWARDS yourself. Always cut AWAY from yourself, and TOWARDS someone else!

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Some of our people here in holland have warranty, and if your product fails, you have to return it, with original packaging!
I've had several clamshell products, that were a pain in the butt to open. And after my earphones were broken, I had to return them, with original packaging. However, when I came back they didn't accept the packaging, it was too far ripped. And didn't get my warranty, cause it should be send back with original nice package. (I've used a scissor btw) Mostly you can't open them from the top, And the back is thick, and hard to cut with a scissor. (You really have to take a sharp knife or other object to cut it open) But then you risk the hazard of cutting into your product...

Just put a carton box around it I don't care, with a little plastic window. Saves plastic aswell...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
radium69 is right. The plastic clamshells aren't designed to deter shoplifters, they are designed to deter/inhibit people from returning products (whether defective, or simply unwanted). That fact that a warranty could be denied simply because the included packaging was intentionally made hard to open is ridiculous.

Any shoplifter knows you can walk into Walmart and find all the necessary tools to disable the anti-theft devices and open the packaging anyway, so its good to hear they're starting to carry simpler packaging. Since Walmart is also a mega-company that can force the market any way they choose, they'll hopefully use their power to "coerce" other companies into using simpler packaging as well. Save on customer frustration AND reduce the thousands (if not millions) of tons of consumer waste their customers are responsible for generating.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think they're mainly used for marketing reasons. They're shiny, cheap, big, and provide a good view of the product. Just show us a demo model and have the boxed version on the shelf below.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Online sales are different than in store sales. If you don't like the packaging, don't have to buy the product. Staples like food and clothing don't come in hard plastic cases usually, so you don't really have to worry about that. The commodities like electronics that you can actually live without usually utilize it, so the choice is still in the consumer's hands. Online though, you don't always get the luxury of seeing the packaging before you purchase. Which is where Amazon fits the bill quite nicely. Since they're putting the crunch on manufacturers, I imagine we'll see a change in retail stores as well.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
adults that hurt themselves with this packaging deserve it in my opinion, but i cant deny that the packaging was annoying. this shouldnt be front-page news but its a welcome change.

now i look forward to them changing candy wrappers so that i dont see idiots unsealing (instead of ripping the corner) and spilling all their M&M's/Skittles on the floor.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
apparently there is a tool that makes it easy to get things out of the clam shell packaging

the irony is that the tool itself comes in its own clam shell packaging :/

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]kamkal[/nom]apparently there is a tool that makes it easy to get things out of the clam shell packagingthe irony is that the tool itself comes in its own clam shell packaging[/citation]
Maybe it comes with a tool to open that packaging?

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Maybe it comes with a tool to open that packaging?[/citation]

in its own clam shell
endless cycle of ironies :/

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Happy to report that I've never injured myself at all opening thousands of clamshell packs. They make these things called utility knives that are much better at cutting plastic than scissors.

Status
Not open for further replies.