Everyone Would Wear Smartwatches If They Had These Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
327
0
18,930
0
This opinion piece sums up precisely why Smartwatches are a fad idea: a smartwatch simply cannot have most of the things on the author's list simply because it's a watch! 2 inch screen at a maximum. How do you propose to reply to content with that? How do you propose to read an entire article on 2 inches? Full navigable UI? If the success of a smartwatch is reliant on these things, then the smartwatch is a fad simply because it cannot have these things.

The smartwatch needs to be totally rethought as a concept. Why replicate smartphone functionality? 99% of the time it's really not an issue to just grab your phone out of your pocket, and I sincerely doubt that for that remaining 1% any notification will be life or death - and if it is you'll have already factored it in. Or is our always-connected, smartphone generation so totally hooked into their digital lives they must access torrents of useless information as fast as possible, and the 2 seconds saved raising their wrist over grabbing their phone is somehow a boon?

If that IS the case then just use Google Glass so your Facebook notifications can be sent directly to your eyes without any interaction from you.
 

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
38
0
18,580
0
I agree completely with Lephuronn above. The only useful wrist-based 'smart' device will be something like the devices you see in sci-fi films - something that is a small candy bar size, laying lengthways along your wrist. It's screen would be big enough to show a decent amount of text, and its battery will be large enough to last for at least a week of always-on usage. The Apple watch, and others, remain pointless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tricky-Ricky Smartwatches 0
c.raptor Smartwatches 1
T Smartwatches 2
J Smartwatches 0
J Smartwatches 0
A Smartwatches 2
J Smartwatches 1
U Smartwatches 5
D Smartwatches 0
Csakzozo Smartwatches 3
マデリン Smartwatches 1
X Smartwatches 0
Freedom2098 Smartwatches 0
M Smartwatches 0
Mudskipper Smartwatches 0
D Smartwatches 5
Leviset Smartwatches 1
P Smartwatches 2
akattkisson Smartwatches 22
Mark Spoonauer Smartwatches 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY