Ex-Car Salesman Remotely Disables 100 Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

pswenne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
hum.. if that guys had been working for Toyota they would have promoted him. think about it, he could have stopped those car from accelerating :) (jk)

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Disgruntled idiot.
Did he REALLY think that he can't be traced back?
And why take the vandalism to customers?

Jail time!

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
What a shitty system that gives employees direct access/logins to disable 100s of customer cars.. What if they were driving on the freeway? I smell a lawsuit. This should be done on a VPN and only give access to management to disable a vehicle. I work for Mercedes and you need an actual police report before they will even attempt to give the location of a stolen vehicle. Yikes.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Yeah, and are the customers aware that they are buying cars with a backdoor lo-jack installed? I would be pretty damn pissed if I found out my vehicle had crap like this installed without my knowledge and consent.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
So after I am done paying for the car does that mean they still have access to my car. Or do they remove the drm? I mean the black box. Sorry thought I was talking about assasins creed there. /end sarcasm

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
This is why I prefer vintage cars since they WORK and don't have any of this crap in them. Bad day when this crap happens and you really need to get some ware.

tethoma

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
This is why you never share your password. All the security measures in the world can be compromised by a user with a crappy password or giving it out to a friend.

From Webtek Plus's point of view, there really is nothing they can lock down more to avoid this in the future. They already had the fired user's name blocked.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nightwraith35711[/nom]He obviously was not behind 7 proxies...fail[/citation]

Yep, he obviously wasn't!

But you don't even need to go that far and take a small chance they'll still track you back. I would just go to any public hot spot, of which they are plenty now, and use my laptop over there. Also, wear something that would not make you easily identifiable in case there are security cameras.

And yeah, using your own personal internet account for that (or one that can be easily linked to you) was a really dumb idea.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
tethoma,

Not true, Like I said that system should be on a VPN and should only be accessible to management. I cannot access any of our web apps or customer information from my house.

G

Funny that they see the need to have the system at all, if you are ignoring the letters/calls telling you to pay up... are you really going to pay if they disable your car?

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Any abuse to a system that shouldn't exist in the first place gets my approval. Especially when some other jerk is willing to take the fall for it. Thanks dood!

Status
Not open for further replies.