Solved! Ex-housemate broke my laptop

aragis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Hi all. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 3 I purchased a couple months ago. My housemate broke it after a heated argument. He did it while I was away so I dont know what he did exactly. It looks like it was slammed against the wall or something :(

Anyway here's the situation:

-Laptop powers on and the fans start working. But no display. The power light is blinking constantly.
-Screen is completely busted. When viewed with a flashlight, you can see the internal cracks within the panel. It's obvious that the panel is dead.
-Hooking up to external monitor doesn't work. I tried the FN and shortcut buttons in many different ways. Nothing...
-I removed the back plate to see the damage inside, it all looks OK except for a couple of small plastic pieces that were broken off from the chassis.
-I turned the laptop on and tried to enter my PIN code to log in without any display. Weirdly, there are no sounds at all and the capslock and numlock lights also don't work.
-Cosmetically, the laptop appears fine from the outside save for a couple of scratches. Hinge works fine.

Do you think the laptop completely dead? I'm not doing great financially and the economic situation in my country is terrible, so the laptop was actually a big investment for me. I really need it for my work. Any help/suggestion is appreciated!

Solution
That laptop took a beating. Try the solution in this video - Easy Fix Easy Fix Lenovo Laptop Flashing Power Light Will Not Power Up - Disassembly - YouTube

Usually if a laptop is dropped (I don't know about slammed against a wall), the display, moving parts like a hard disk drive or optical drive, connections, and anything that got cracked would be affected. If something essential like the motherboard was cracked, your laptop is dead. But if it's only the display or some connection that got knocked loose, it still has a chance. The display may even still work, if only partially, if you could get the machine to run.

This seems to be what he did in the video, but I would reseat all connections. Anything could have been...

mrmike16

Honorable
That laptop took a beating. Try the solution in this video - Easy Fix Easy Fix Lenovo Laptop Flashing Power Light Will Not Power Up - Disassembly - YouTube

Usually if a laptop is dropped (I don't know about slammed against a wall), the display, moving parts like a hard disk drive or optical drive, connections, and anything that got cracked would be affected. If something essential like the motherboard was cracked, your laptop is dead. But if it's only the display or some connection that got knocked loose, it still has a chance. The display may even still work, if only partially, if you could get the machine to run.

This seems to be what he did in the video, but I would reseat all connections. Anything could have been knocked loose.

Your ex-housemate should recompensate you for the laptop, but that's not really my business.

Reactions: aragis
Solution
From the sound of things, the repair cost is likely to be about what the laptop is worth. Cracked display is one thing, but no sign of life at all when you try to power it on is usually a motherboard issue. Replacing both of those is the cost of a new laptop unless you can do the work yourself. Those laptops are pretty cheap (as far as laptops go), so the parts and labor cost will easily reach the cost of a new one which look to be about $3-400.

Reactions: aragis