Ex Sony Exec: Tablets Could Replace Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Tablets are at PlayStation 2 graphics if that, calm down. And besides the only thing I'm going to drop more than $100 on is a new graphics card.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Tablets are becoming an every day item, But for little more than convenient web surfing AT HOME, The novelty is wearing off very quickly, As much as I would like to see Consoles get their asses kicked it just isn't going to happen.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Tablets could only overlap with the handheld consoles, and even then I imagine Nintendo and Sony's offerings will both continue to go towards more of a tablet/touchscreen style anyway. Tablets will never replace TV gaming consoles.

But what do I know, I'm a PC gamer so screw you console kiddies >:D

Skiddywinks

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Replace consoles, are you kidding? You can't do nearly as much without a controller. Absolutely never going to happen.

I'm sure tablet gaming is going to only get bigger, but it's never going to replace consoles. Constant hardware updates every year is the exact opposite of the point of getting a console; stnadardisation. I can't believe that people are that stupid, nor that this is even being given any credability by a site like Tom's.

G

I wish people would stop quoting that Bolt Creative guy as if he knows anything.

NGP has double the CPU and GPU cores of the iPad 2, with dedicated VRAM for the GPU, and feeding a lower resolution, with much lower level access than is available in iPad. The result, all else being equal, ought to be a big disparity in capability for games in favour of NGP.

Maybe with iPad 4 the hardware will beat NGP; maybe by iPad 5 or iPad 6 the games will begin to make NGP's look older. Not that this is the be all and end all - look at 3DS, it is much less powerful than any of these devices, but it'll have a role to play - like NGP - because it is targeting a very different end of the market, the $40 handheld game, and the market for those games won't evaporate overnight.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]xambron[/nom]Tablets are at PlayStation 2 graphics if that, calm down.[/citation]

And you think that's not a lot for a product that only went mainstream less than a year ago?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Okay. I think I'll just wait and see if that comes true. Course that could be a while, still waiting on my pre-ordered flying car.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
So, let me get this straight. This guy think that tablet will eventually replace the multimedia experience found in home consoles? The same consoles that have input methods that have been refined for over 30 years? The same consoles whose billion-dollar designs is solely for gaming? And people are going to pay a premium just to own these little tablets? Who in their right mind would buy a $500(for a stripped down iPad) tablet over $300 PS3 or Xbox 360 or $200 Wii?

I know he's thinking about the future of tablets, but he talks like he's assuming that consoles won't become more powerful and versatile in the future. Silly rabbit.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Currently the only roadblock tablets really face in replacing consoles is the proper method of player input and the total embrace of the gaming industry.
So the two things the tablet needs are better input (doesn't this defeat the whole purpose, as a tablet is defined in part by its input method?) and for everyone to decide to use and develop for it instead of consoles. You could say the same for my tv. If it had a better input method than just a remote, and everyone was developing for it, I'm sure it would turn into a gaming console too.
It's very clear why this person isn't a exec anymore.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]And you think that's not a lot for a product that only went mainstream less than a year ago?[/citation]

Yeah, I think that's pretty sad, seeing as the PS2 came out over a decade ago, in 2000. So if the iPad can barely manage that level of graphics... That's just sad.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]znegval[/nom]And you think that's not a lot for a product that only went mainstream less than a year ago?[/citation]
so what you expect new products to have atari level graphics?

think before you speak

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I think our former Sony-ite fails to grasp the nature of the market. While tablets may augment gaming consoles, they will never be as robust and visually immersive as consoles and therefor will never replace them.

SapienChavez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
its not so much "replace" as it is "evolve into"

just like the walkman, PDA, and telephone evolved into one. none replaced the others.

hand-held gaming and console gaming will soon combine. neither "replacing" the other.

thats my opinion.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
This dude is a moron.
The PS4
The XBox 480
The Wii 2
Will all have MUCH better graphics than any hand held at the time. In 5 year tablets still won't be able to pull off the graphics of these new systems. Major advances in technology would need to be made in order have comparable graphics.

Problem 1: Power consumption...
I don't know about you but my video card requires at least a 500W power supply and more amps than any battery could push.

Problem 2: Cooling...
Newer gaphics cards need plenty of cooling. Because these chips run hot. Since tablets are thin, that means the ability to cool these chips is very limited.

So lets say these technologies advance HUGE and you can put what would currently be an GTX 580 in to a tablet and allow for tons of battery life and suffiecent cooling. It would not matter because while the 580 is great in that new tablet, by the time that technology comes out a NEWER high end video card that DOES need intense cooling will be the new performance king offering graphics that, at that time will seem amazing compared to the old 580.

The only way this would happen is if console/tablet gaming went into the cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.