Exclusive: Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
woooo another waste of money by bethesda to shrivel and die...
how about instead of pursuing these stupid MMO ideas, you actually focus on what you have going for you right now?

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]woooo another waste of money by bethesda to shrivel and die... how about instead of pursuing these stupid MMO ideas, you actually focus on what you have going for you right now?[/citation]

Because when they do it right it works and if no one tries then we'll never get decent mmos anymore. I say let them do what they want. I prefer online games anyway. Single player rpgs just get so boring.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hmmh, without trying to sound like negative nancy here; I can't imagine this would be very good. Considering every game by bethesda always feels rushed and unfinished, it's always left to the modders to fix the problems. An mmo can only mean closed down, meaning no modding community to fall upon.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]Because when they do it right it works and if no one tries then we'll never get decent mmos anymore. I say let them do what they want. I prefer online games anyway. Single player rpgs just get so boring.[/citation]

yea when you beat everything and do every quest and hit the absolute end game, single player rpgs are very boreing... mmos are to once you hit the end game and do every quest ( that you can do)

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I think the Elder Scrolls games are excellent; however this is BECAUSE they are single player. Bethesda better consult with Blizzard to get some of their game-play balancing right, with their track record I would guess this will be ripe with bugs/imbalances. In a single player you're only cheating yourself, in an MMO cheating will negatively impact other peoples' experiences.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]Hmmh, without trying to sound like negative nancy here; I can't imagine this would be very good. Considering every game by bethesda always feels rushed and unfinished, it's always left to the modders to fix the problems. An mmo can only mean closed down, meaning no modding community to fall upon.[/citation]

to their credit, skyrim was interesting, and interesting for longer than oblivion... where as oblivion needed mods before i called it playable, skyrim is out of the box, and mods enhance it.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Surprise, after how many times they said "we won't do an online Elder scrolls or Fallout game, because it's just not our style"

That aside, I'm really looking forward to an Elder Scrolls MMO as this may actually get me to play an MMO for more than a week. I hope they come out with a Fallout MMO (or didn't force the one being made to be stopped).
2 universes I've always felt that, if done correctly, could be better online.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]I think the Elder Scrolls games are excellent; however this is BECAUSE they are single player. Bethesda better consult with Blizzard to get some of their game-play balancing right, with their track record I would guess this will be ripe with bugs/imbalances. In a single player you're only cheating yourself, in an MMO cheating will negatively impact other peoples' experiences.[/citation]

I disagree. I've been playing Skyrim for quite some time while my wife sits and watches from the chair behind me. We've made countless comments about how much fun it would be to play it together, even if she were only allowed to control the companion. We wouldn't have to deal with Lydia running in and taking my fireball to her back, pulling tons of extra mobs, or not equipping the items I give her. I mean, why use the 50 damage legendary ebony greatsword with dual shock and fire damage when you can use the 25 damage base version with no enchant?

Things like that are pretty annoying and constantly make me think of how the game needed multiplayer coop, 2 player, basic stuff.

Now, how would this game work as an MMO? I don't know, but my first thought would be that the world would have to be an instance and you only see people in cities.

G

"I don't know, but my first thought would be that the world would have to be an instance and you only see people in cities."
^^^^
THAT.

What makes TES games fun is the epic adventure feeling you get from it. To have schmo roll in and jumping all around saying pwned pwned haha roxors, etc, etc would spoil it.

They need to make it so it plays like a singleplayer game, but your friends can join you for that MMO feel.

G

[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]I disagree. I've been playing Skyrim for quite some time while my wife sits and watches from the chair behind me. We've made countless comments about how much fun it would be to play it together, even if she were only allowed to control the companion. We wouldn't have to deal with Lydia running in and taking my fireball to her back, pulling tons of extra mobs, or not equipping the items I give her. I mean, why use the 50 damage legendary ebony greatsword with dual shock and fire damage when you can use the 25 damage base version with no enchant?Things like that are pretty annoying and constantly make me think of how the game needed multiplayer coop, 2 player, basic stuff.Now, how would this game work as an MMO? I don't know, but my first thought would be that the world would have to be an instance and you only see people in cities.[/citation]

Your wife actually watches you play skyrim?. My gf always want me to watch some shitty sitcom with her when I'm playing.

Sprinkles169

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]yea when you beat everything and do every quest and hit the absolute end game, single player rpgs are very boreing... mmos are to once you hit the end game and do every quest ( that you can do)[/citation]

Exactly. And if they come out with an entirely different game called TES: MMO it will probably just make a lot of people upset and 'disappointed'. Unless they change it to something really good. I'd like that because most bethesda games bore me anyways.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Another MMO I won't play. I would've liked co-op in their games, but Bethesda would always BSed about how it would ruin the game.[/citation]
Basically they are saying it would be impossible to balance their open ended skill system. They'd likely have to adapt a whole new skill advancement system if they went into an MMO. Asheron's Call is the only open skill system MMO I've seen, and while it wasn't terrible, it definitely had balance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.