Expanding RAM from 4GBs to 8GBs would it improve gaming performance?

JEGuitarist

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I have a laptop, currently its capable of running most new games fairly well..and I figured if I upgraded my ram from 4gb to 8gb it would improve my performance and I'd think I'd be able to run games in a higher quality. (My dad told me 4 is plenty and if I'd upgrade to 8 I wouldn't notice a difference, I can't help but disagree haha) So my question to you would be, if I'd upgrade my memory would I notice a difference in gaming? My current specs are:

4 GBs of Ram
AMD A6-3420M APU Quad core
AMD Radeon HD 6520G

groundrat

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Since you are not using the A8 to run your monitor, it will not have the spectacular impact it would have, but yes, increasing ram almost always improves not only game performance, but over all computer performance as well. Make sure your new ram matches existing type and timings, if you are re-using the old sticks.

JEGuitarist

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I used crucial.com to determine an appropriate upgrade..would you say its an accurate source to judge from? My current stick is a 204 pin DDR3 SoDIMM 4gb. (Im not sure how to figure out the appropriate timing.)

JEGuitarist

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Yes I'm running 64 bit windows 7. and using CPUz would the timing be under the "DRAM Frequency" line?