Question External Drive No Longer Recognized When Switching (via KVM)

OhGod

Great
Feb 17, 2020
UGH. So it's like a few days with laptops running seamlessly, then something like this.

One of the things I LOVED about using an external drive with a KVM Switch, as that everything paired with or connected to the KVM could see and use the external drive. It was (is) awesome.

A few days ago, however, I noticed that the external drive was always running and I was unsure if that was 'right' ... if it should constantly be ON. So, I removed everything from it, verified it stopped, then added things back in little by little, making sure every few times that it did not actively begin running without me specifically running a program from it. Eventually it started running again and I decided to just leave it.

Well now, when I switch from one laptop to another via the KVM Switch buttons or remote, the drive is NO LONGER recognized / visible by the laptop I am switching to. This has me seriously bummed out.

Need some sort of direction on what I can try please! I've already disconnected the power completely to the KVM Switch (hard reset) and I thought that had fixed it, but it didn't.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Laptop Tech Support 0
OhGod Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 0
C Laptop Tech Support 7
lucasblack29 Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 7
newbie_techie Laptop Tech Support 6
TheWalkingDazz Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 1