Solved! external hard drive is detected, then not detected

May 13, 2019
i have a WD passport which i use to keep a backup of all of my school projects, and other important files, but recently, whenever i plug it into a usb port on my laptop, it starts glitching, and my data appears, the hard drive is also detected, but then after a while, it dissapears and shows the hard drive get disconnected, after which it shows an error message, saying "parameter is incorrect". i have plugged in other devices which seem to work just fine. is this something to do with my laptop drivers?
i really need to know if there is a problem in my laptop or in my hard disk, cause my exams are going on, and i need my laptop to give the exams, and the hard disk has all of my data temporarily as the school requires me to keep my laptop empty of any data while the exams go on (IB).

Solution
i have a WD passport which i use to keep a backup of all of my school projects, and other important files, but recently, whenever i plug it into a usb port on my laptop, it starts glitching, and my data appears, the hard drive is also detected, but then after a while, it dissapears and shows the hard drive get disconnected, after which it shows an error message, saying "parameter is incorrect". i have plugged in other devices which seem to work just fine. is this something to do with my laptop drivers?
i really need to know if there is a problem in my laptop or in my hard disk, cause my exams are going on, and i need my laptop to give the exams, and the hard disk has all of my data temporarily as the school requires me to keep my...
May 13, 2019
My laptop has different USB ports, and the hard drive only works on the USB 2.0 port right now, until a couple days ago, it used to work on all the ports in my laptop, so I don't think there was a need for the y-cable.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
i really need to know if there is a problem in my laptop or in my hard disk, cause my exams are going on, and i need my laptop to give the exams, and the hard disk has all of my data temporarily as the school requires me to keep my laptop empty of any data while the exams go on (IB).
Sometimes there is problem with the Data cable. Change the cable first and then try to connect to PC. Still, you facing the same issue then your hard drive is might be corrupted.

Solution