Extreme Overheating Issue.

May 1, 2018
Hello there, I have a pretty old laptop that has an i3 M 330. I'm not sure what is wrong with it but it has some major overheating issues... With JUST the desktop, no applications open, Wi-Fi OFF this CPU gets up to 74C... And playing games? I tried playing CS:GO, a really easy game to play. At 800x600 res all very low settings this overheats within 30 minutes of playing and shuts off on me. I will try pretty much anything to get it fixed... I can open the computer up to get to the cpu if that helps. Now I do have a desktop that I play games on so if I can't get this fixed, its not the end of the world its just something that I would like to use when I don't want to get out of bed to go to my computer :p Thanks for any help!

May 1, 2018

Ok so I just did that and while it did get a lot of dust out I'm still reaching around 62C... So I mean not terrible but I would like it lower if possible.

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
62C at idle on the desktop? It's possible there's quite a lot of dust that's gotten into the PC (would need canned air or even opening the laptop to remove). Before you do that though, I'd open the task manager (presuming it's windows) and look at the CPU at idle to make sure theres not something using it in the background...

May 1, 2018

Well I mean it was 74C before I cleaned it... Looking at the task manager there is a program named .NET Runtime Optimization Service which is using about 17% of the cpu as im writing this...

inanition02

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Best guess is there's still more dirt in there. Have you been using the laptop or has it been sitting for a while? If sitting, some updates and optimization programs may run even when "idle" so you could try letting it sit for a couple hours to let those finish and see where temps end up. What are you using to measure?

May 1, 2018

Yeah. It has been sitting for probably a little over a year now. I'll let it sit for a bit. And I'm using HWMonitor.