Extremely Strange Complex Virus.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mitch_xtv

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
Hey guys, Now before I get into this I would like to start by saying that I was very confused as to which forum to post this in, so forgive me if this is the wrong one & I am also very limited in my knowledge of this so In a desperate call for help and to make people aware of this I decided to make some posts all over the internet on certain forums like this one.

So let's start, late hours of Thursday evening last week I started to experience strange internet speeds and ping spikes etc etc, me being an avid gamer I thought nothing of it maybe give the router a reboot or something like that and normally the problem goes away, but I decided to tell my dad who then checked the router logs showing that we were being hacked/attacked from some IP. Anyway's it had seemed to stop so we carried on with whatever it was. Then Friday we noticed slow internet speeds etc etc, we thought this to not be a co incidence so we started to explore the situation further. In the long and short of it we had clearly been attacked / hacked and an infection had been placed in the router and on every device in the house. Our home network is very complex with 52 devices being used most of those are Phillips hue light switches and things like that. This network virus also re routed our DNS settings, and we knew that this was very bad. My father working in IT since early 2000's still did not know how to fix this problem. It seems we had picked it up from a phishing email. We had decided to reset EVERYTHING in the house, factory reset of the router, phones and pcs. I and my father re-formatted our whole systems but this thing has still not disappeared. this is clearly shown where by our fresh installs and wiped hardrives of windows were using 31% Of our CPU'S and our cpu's are an i74790k and an eight core AMD so this is VERY strange for a machine of such spec. I have done some researched across the web and I am pretty confident on saying we have some sort of RAM virus or fileless trojan on our machine and router probably. I am posting here to seek any sort of help someone might be able to point us in, currently im attempting to download CS:GO on steam with a normal 200mb download speed and 50 upload provided by virgin media and I am downloading at 750KB which never is this low, it is using lots of bandwith in our network to spread to as many devices we think. Please discuss this here and ask some more questions because we seriously do not know where to go or what to do.

Regards Mitchell

Solution

Having the other systems offline is to prevent cross infections.
Like if there are several kids in the house, and they pass a cold back and forth for several weeks.

As said earlier...time to go nuclear.

Mitch_xtv

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

Okay, will update with further progress.